Black hen not laying, pale comb

ObiWanHenobi

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2021
My black hen, Rose, hasn't been laying for months now and her comb is quite pale. We had rodents in the coop and that problem has been solved since the end of September. She hasn't been laying consistently since at least then, but it's hard to tell which one was laying then. I checked her for mites and she's clean. I also read a post that instructed to check her crop. It does seem like she has a lump about the size of a golf ball, but I don't know what normal feels like for her. Vent looks ok, some white stuff on the feathers surrounding. Her poop is half normal, half black and runny. Sometimes it doesn't look like she's pooped at all, but I can't be sure.

The Jersey Red (Blanche) is laying but has some weird discolouring or lumps on her comb.

Originally I had 3 laying hens and one died about 3 weeks ago. I've not had a chance to look into the cause of death further.

I've attached a bunch of pictures for reference.

Thanks for reading.
Adam

Attachments

• Image from iOS (14).jpg
    Image from iOS (14).jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Image from iOS (13).jpg
    Image from iOS (13).jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Image from iOS (12).jpg
    Image from iOS (12).jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Image from iOS (11).jpg
    Image from iOS (11).jpg
    482 KB · Views: 4
  • Image from iOS (10).jpg
    Image from iOS (10).jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Image from iOS (9).jpg
    Image from iOS (9).jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Image from iOS (8).jpg
    Image from iOS (8).jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Image from iOS (7).jpg
    Image from iOS (7).jpg
    545.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Image from iOS (5).jpg
    Image from iOS (5).jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Image from iOS (4).jpg
    Image from iOS (4).jpg
    781 KB · Views: 4
I live in gardening zone 5a :)

She's not been laying consistently for quite some time and she has black diarrhea, which is what is concerning me most.

Does it get below freezing at night? One of the hens looks like she could have mild frostbite with white tips of her comb. Pale combs are common in winter with shorter days and when not laying. If there is no freezing weather, then the white comb tips could be from healing injury. The crop should feel empty and flat early in the morning before they eat or drink. Then it should feel full in the evening after eating and drinking.

Can you take some droppings in to your vet for a fecal float and possible gram stain to look for worms, coccidiosis, and bacteria. Probiotics are good for any chicken a couple of days a week. Worming is also good to do if you cannot take droppings to your vet.

Back
Top Bottom