Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Only a few wanted to play in the snow this morning, and it took a bowl of fermented feed to coax them out lol.
Very good photos!
wink.png
Is that a pond behind your house? Your chickens could go ice skating!
gig.gif
Also, I'm still learning, as I have only had chickens for a year... What is fermented feed? Thx!
smile.png

That's the susquehanna river. They don't stray too far from the coop right now even if I let them out in the yard they just try to get back into the run. I hope this summer they head down by the water. Lots of bugs on the riverbank! I'm still very new to the fermented feed myself. Basically it's just feed soaked for a few days in water. So that it ferments and kinda pickles. They go bonkers for it and it's supposed to be real healthy and make them eat less. Mine don't seem to eat less, but they do love it. There are a bunch of threads on here about it and on google. Might be worth checking out.

Hello, another jersey giant lover here!!!!

I love the breed mine are only 32 weeks or so, still no eggs from my girls, but as long as they keep a smile on my face it looks like they will stay!!

Hello and thanks for joining in. 32 weeks and no eggs yet huh? I hear that happens with them. I keep thinking day by day I'm going to go out and see eggs but none yet. The rooster keeps mounting a few of the hens so it's getting my hopes up. But mine are a bit younger than yours so maybe I can just relax.

actually, all my birds are the same age in that coop and my 2 dels started laying last week, and there are 15 pullets of different breeds! I have noticed with my giant roo he is such a gentleman, he will dance for the girls and if they don't squat he walks away and tries on the next! I have culled a few roo's due to over breeding the girls when they don't want to, so I was worried about him due to his size, but he is so polite to his girls
love.gif
! Also he is the only roo I have that my 5 year old can run around and he just watches her go! I'm surely looking forward to having more of these babies in my flock!

I've noticed that too. All of mine are jg's and they are very relaxed and easy going. Well unless one of the girls tries to steal some meat scraps from the roo. Then they get a peck on the head and sent on their way haha. I'm amazed how tall he is getting. Wish he'd stand still long enough for me to measure!

My plans are all of the above. I was just going to eat them and hatch out enough to add to my flock. I'm trying to figure out a nest box design so that if one goes broody she can sit on eggs and not break them. But I've had people say they want fertile eggs and chicks so I'm just gonna see what happens when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom