Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics
Hi! I am new to the thread and read it through. I am interested in getting a BJG for a roo for my girls. I plan to get one from our local feed store, but they get the chicks from a hatchery. Anyway, I have a couple of questions...any answers would be appreciated.
1 - do they make a good roo, am looking for the laid back part I have been hearing about.
2 - with their size, are the OK with standard size hens?
3 - what should I look for to make sure I am getting Jersey Giants as opposed to something else?
4 - do they go up ramps alright? I have a short ramp from the ground into the coop and a slightly longer one to get up to the roost.
5 - has anyone notice a difference in personality between had raised roos and hen raised roos?

Thanks again!
~Beth:)

Picked up 2 BJG girls from Attwoods today. They get chicks from ideal so mine are hatchery. They are joined by 3 EE's, 2 GLW's, 3 cali leghorns, and 2 cuckoo marans, one of which is my roo. Had a turken as well but she eats eggs

congrads on ur bjgs you will love them mine are getting so big I need to put out in coop next week they are 6 wks old it is time ...

Roo or hen? 7 weeks-ish

Ok, I'm back. I have 2 jersey giants and I think they are both roos. Are there any distinguishing features or traits? I don't want to wait until they are of crowing age...I want to re-home them ASAP if they are roos.

here are my bjg chicks 11 wks old ...not as freindly as i thought they would be ..have not gone in coop at dusk usually have to catch them and put in coop...yes they do eat alot ...dont know right now if i would continue to raise them at the moment...

Back
Top Bottom