Black Jersey Giants (photo's now added)

Those are both hens, by project he means it could be used to improve or create a Black Brahma. They could and they could not be purebred, because honestly, the Langshan looking one has a Brahma body, and the Brahma has a Langshan body.

so even though it has a 1cm spur on the back of its leg it can still be a hen???
think i will stick with the easier breeds lol.
only wanted a BJG because i had a Big Black Labrador that died recently so was buying the BJG as a living memorial.

Last edited:
Yes, hens can have small spurs and both of yours are hens. And like Illia said, But project meant that that hen could be used in a Black Brahma breeding project if some someone wanted to work on making pure black Brahmas, We dont have LB Black Brahmas here in the US unless someone is working on them, and if no one else does, I may do it myself someday becuase I would love to have some, but someone here in the US has Black Brahma Bantams, but I think I would prefer Large Fowl.

Also remember that Langshans have single combs and that feather legged bird appears to have a pea comb like brahmas and just an all around Brahma head so I still say Brahma cross for that one.

It has been established on this thread that they are not JG's...but I do agree with an earlier post that they are both hens. They could be a mix of JG's and Langshans. Did I miss where that might be a possibility? I have both Black Jersey Giants and Black Langshans.

I want to add that in the UK...there are Langshans that lay a more "plum" colored egg. Any chance yours decended from there...and shipped to Ireland? I spent weeks searching for plum egg laying Langshans here in the US...no luck.

Quote:
i am very new to this and have just looked at the anatomy page and couldnt find the "dewlap", is it known as anything else??
and after scouring google i believe one to definately be a langshan and the other to be more than likely a X BJG i will post and let you know what colour the eggs are mugsmagee

Last edited:
Quote:
i am very new to this and have just looked at the anatomy page and couldnt find the "dewlap", is it known as anything else??
and after scouring google i believe one to definately be a langshan and the other to be more than likely a X BJG i will post and let you know what colour the eggs are mugsmagee

A dewlap is specific to Brahmas. It is how the skin between/around the waddles hangs lower than most other breeds. Like this:

(not my bird)

smimg_0010.jpg

Quote:

It will just make me jealous if you've got plum layers! But let me know anyway!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom