Montymoo

Songster
Sep 17, 2023
I am new here and new to chickens. Exactly one week New. Lol. We have 4 in total. Black Jersey Giant- no clue of age
Cochin also no clue of age but the leg feathers are coming in.
2 Golden Laced Wyandottes hatched 7/24
Questions:
Any guesses as to the age of the Jersey out Cochin?
Do any of them look like Roos? One GLW has a rounded back end and the other has a longer tail and the legs are a bit thicker
I really appreciate any help you can give.
Lisa
IMG_1349.png
IMG_1348.png
IMG_1340.jpeg
IMG_1338.jpeg
IMG_1340.jpeg

I don’t think that’s a Cochin, looks more like a Golden Cuckoo Marans to me. I don’t think their feet will get any more feathered than they are already, but I could be wrong. My Blue Cuckoo Marans has had the same amount of leg feathers since she first molted, and she’s approaching 14 weeks. Yours looks maybe to be a similar age, though they could be older. Nothing screams cockerel yet for any of these chicks, as far as I can see.

Wow! The guy I got them from was terrible. I ordered 2 Barnevelder pullets with the 2 GLW’s. When we went to pick up he couldn’t find the Barnies and offered us what he said was a Cochin (not) and the Jersey. Well, we already love them all no matter what they are. lol

I have some better shots of the GLW’s. I don’t understand why their back ends/tails are different if they’re both pullets. Maybe I’m-worrying too much
First 2 pix Diva on the right (she has eyeliner)
3rd pic is the unnamed longer tail one
The 4th is hopefully a better head shot of Diva (the one behind)

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpeg
    IMG_1382.jpeg
    624.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1376.jpeg
    IMG_1376.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1380.jpeg
    IMG_1380.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 19
I don’t think that’s a Cochin, looks more like a Golden Cuckoo Marans to me. I don’t think their feet will get any more feathered than they are already, but I could be wrong. My Blue Cuckoo Marans has had the same amount of leg feathers since she first molted, and she’s approaching 14 weeks. Yours looks maybe to be a similar age, though they could be older. Nothing screams cockerel yet for any of these chicks, as far as I can see.
Thank you for the breed clarification. I have a couple more shots of the GLW’s- still wondering if one is a cockerel and a better shot of the JG’s comb. Chicken pix are hard to take! lol

Attachments

• IMG_1386.png
    IMG_1386.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1382.jpeg
    IMG_1382.jpeg
    624.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1376.jpeg
    IMG_1376.jpeg
    617.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 16
Thank you for the breed clarification. I have a couple more shots of the GLW’s- still wondering if one is a cockerel and a better shot of the JG’s comb. Chicken pix are hard to take! lol

You’re welcome! They all still look like pullets to me. I’m not very knowledgeable about Wyandottes, but from what I’ve gathered on this forum, they are prone to reddening up their combs early, making it easy to mistake what is actually a pullet for a cockerel. (Someone correct me on this if I’m wrong please!). Yours so far are still looking like pullets, so no need to worry yet. I don’t think the tails matter in determining gender. Your birds aren’t old enough to have male specific hackles and saddles yet. They should show up around 12-15 weeks if they are boys, but those are the areas you’ll want to keep an eye on if you’re worried. The feathers will come in thin and pointy if they’re boys, and rounded if they’re girls.

Your JG looks like a pullet, her comb is very small and I see no wattle development. It’s hard to tell if she’s actually a JG or not, her skin color seems a bit dark. Can you tell what skin color is on the soles of her feet? If yellow, then she’s probably a JG.

You’re welcome! They all still look like pullets to me. I’m not very knowledgeable about Wyandottes, but from what I’ve gathered on this forum, they are prone to reddening up their combs early, making it easy to mistake what is actually a pullet for a cockerel. (Someone correct me on this if I’m wrong please!). Yours so far are still looking like pullets, so no need to worry yet. I don’t think the tails matter in determining gender. Your birds aren’t old enough to have male specific hackles and saddles yet. They should show up around 12-15 weeks if they are boys, but those are the areas you’ll want to keep an eye on if you’re worried. The feathers will come in thin and pointy if they’re boys, and rounded if they’re girls.

Your JG looks like a pullet, her comb is very small and I see no wattle development. It’s hard to tell if she’s actually a JG or not, her skin color seems a bit dark. Can you tell what skin color is on the soles of her feet? If yellow, then she’s probably a JG.
Yellow foot pads- I could see them when she ran away from me 😂

2 weeks later, and I'm still worried someone is a cockrel. I have nothing to go on except rotten luck, so I'm checking back with new pix of 2 of them. Still leaning toward pullets?

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    982.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0290.jpeg
    IMG_0290.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg