Black Langshan Question

easttxchick

Lone Star Call Ducks
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
I have a 3 month old Black Langshan rooster who is...how to put this nicely? Well, he's clumsy.

Are Black Langshans normally really heavy gaited? He is so lead footed that I named him Lurch.

He seems to be a bit of a loner and I know sometimes birds with "handicaps" will isolate (or get isolated)themselves from the flock. The basis of my question is this: is the heavy gait normal or does he possibly have a neuro problem or something? He is also constantly following me and wanting me to hold him in my lap.

He seems very healthy and I see no outward signs of illness.

Thanks guys!

OK now I really need someone who has knowledge of Black Langshans.

I know it would be more helpful to add video of Lurch, but I don't have that availability and pictures just won't tell the story.

I have tried physically putting him on the perch at night, but he cannot stay on-he teeters and starts to fall so I have to catch him. I have no idea if this is a balance issue, injury or what.

Yesterday, he was out free ranging with the other birds and he fell down-he didn't stay down, he got right back up. Now I KNOW this isn't normal.

He is VERY large and I am wondering if it's possible that it's just because he is really growing fast and is uncoordinated(my hope) or if he has a real neuro problem.

He still SEEMS fine. He eats well, loves his free ranging time and is always happy to see me.

Any input would be helpful.

Any chance he injured himself?

We have a roo (not Langshan) that decided to live outside the coop for a few weeks. Him and another were not getting along and until I moved the other roo into a new section he refused to go in. Anyhow, just a week out he started this drastic walk is the only way I can describe it. I figured he injuried himself somehow so I caught him up and felt and looked all over. Nothing. To this day he still walks funny. My girlfriend named him 'Hitler' because he actually straight leg marches on one side. He isn't mean at all really. Never shown any signs of illness or can I identify him having anything broken or wrong on the outside. No other chickens we have had were ill either. Must have been something happened to him outside.

I have 2 roos I got last spring and I have not seen anything like that with them. They hang out together and appearantly don't realize they are bigger than the other 3 roos.

Back
Top Bottom