Black Langshan???

Peace

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
NS, Canada
Hi,

I bought 11 chicks and their mother.... well.... I'm not sure if she is the actual mother of all of them because she hatched out 11 eggs and had another 9 newly hatched chicks stuck under her. I got 11 of the 20 chicks. Anyway, I was told that they were Black Langshans but I'm not so sure. What do you think?

(Sorry for the poor quality crooked picture.)

Anyway, she has a very small black comb hidden in her black feathers - not red. Her tail feathers don't seem to stick up as much as pictures I've seen. Her feathers have a beautiful green sheen in the light. She has a couple of feathers on her black feet. She has a large spur (I think that's what it's called) on the inside back of her feet. She's smaller than my "brown layers".

The chicks have small growing combs that are kind of peachy coloured. The chicks are growing black feathers with white tips. (I don't see any white on Mama.)

Any ideas?

Black Langshans are a very tall breed with a U shaped body. They should be black with light feathering on their legs. They have a single comb, mine have red combs, not black. Here is a picture of my pullet at around 25 weeks. I should take a more recent picture as she has filled out a lot since then.

Your mother hen has black skin a crest, she's not a Langston but her chicks could easily be (the seller could have put the pure eggs under your mom hen).

She really does have a Silkie head, doesn't she? She isn't 'furry' though. Silkie - Langshan? It's going to be very interesting to see what everybody looks like when they grow up. :)

Back
Top Bottom