Black Maran 10 weeks old Roo or Pullet?

MissChikaDee

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
North Central AR.
I have a black maran that's about 10 weeks old. Picked it up the day it hatched from the hatchery as a pullet with 2 cuckoos also pullets. It was the first to develop it's comb and wattles and the tail feathers are pointed somewhat downward. The 2 cuckoos still have small combs. Not having another black to compare it to, I'm wondering is it really a roo or just the way the black matures? These are the first marans I've had and I sure would appreciate any help in identifying it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was hoping that it would be a pullet.
sad.png
Out of ones I bought at the hatchery that was the one I really wanted for the chocolate brown eggs. I had ordered pullets from them and we made a special trip to pick them up. I'm disappointed, but he is a good looking chicken. Now I'm curious to find out what he'll look like full grown. I haven't seen many pictures of just black marans.

No doubt that that is a rooster! Hens will not have saddle feathers like that. Not even full grown hens. He is mature for 10 week! My boys are the same age, and I don't see any saddle feathers.

Back
Top Bottom