Black Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BamaChicken, Oct 16, 2008.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Hi Yall. Have had company so couldn't get online. Went and visited a friend today that has some barely5 month old Black Orps she hatched from eggs from me earlier this year. She wanted me take a look and make sure she was keeping the best ones. Wow was all I had to say. Her black cockerel is just awesome and the pullets were very large. I told her I want eggs back from her when they start laying and breeding. She offered me anything she had back cause that is the kind of friend she is. Told I would just get eggs. Take a look at her awesome pen. She makes it look shabby Sheik with all her flowers around it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Beautiful birds!

Quick question...can you tell me the difference between a black Orpington and a black Australorp? I have the HARDEST time telling a difference between the two breeds!

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I now absolutly nothing about orphs and colors of them and all that but those are some of the most beautiful orphs I have seen in a long time GET SOME OF THOSE EGGS BACK !

Edited to ask does your friend by any chance have a basset hound ? I see a doggie but that looks like my bassets sniffing around the pen. My basset is best friends with my chickens since my other dog passed away.

Henry

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Oh wow! Look at that sheen!! [​IMG]

5. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Those are lucky birds [​IMG]

6. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    The Australorp type is different. They are not quite as large or wide. Not as many Soft feathers. These pullets were Fabulous. She will sell eggs when they start. I told her I would show her how. This woman has green thumb and originally owned the house I live in now. She does well with chickens too.

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have to get some orphs I don't even have buff ones yet and I am not that far from jody and charlie if I had room I would have some already.

8. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Room always seems to be an issue.. I really don't need anymore chickens as we go through 200 lb of feed a week. I arrange and rearrange constantly. I really am trying not to hatch till Spring when I am working on my new line of blues. The blacks are so pretty though and i need to improve.

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I know what you mean defeneatly just on a smaller scale I have 11 laying hens in a coop I will be adding 6-12 chicks in two weeks ! [​IMG] (why do I do this to myself?) I can't have a rooster in my neighborhood ! I only spend $24 a month on feed and the girls try and re pay me in eggs but its hard for them. I am going to try and keep a quite BBS copper marans rooster from this batch and sell some hatching eggs both interesting mutts and pure BBS copper and BBS copper X cuckoo. :eek: I still live at my parents house I am only 16 so we will see what the next year brings. I have admired these orphs for along time and always want some but don't have a bator or time and $ to devote to them. I love your RIR also and really would love a few true RIR pullets. Just remember your birds are some of the most beautiful and genetically valuable on this forum !

Henry

10. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    They are GORGEOUS!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by