Black Parts inside the chicken

purewhite

Hatching
Apr 1, 2021
I just slaughtered and butchered an old black laying hen and noticed some unusual things during the butchering. First, when I cut off the gland above the tail it was black inside. I've done this many times on other chickens but have never seen that before. Then I noticed more black lining under the skin on the breast of the bird. Has anyone else seen this before? I'm wondering if its a build up of toxins and not sure if this bird is safe to consume.

A belated welcome to posting here at BYC. I have no idea what is going on. Any possibility that she has some silky or Ayam Cemani DNA? I personally would be reluctant to eat her. Hopefully someone else will have better ideas as to what was going on with her.

20210722_180735_HDR.jpg
do you mean it looked kind of like this? Cause that's normal for some breeds.

do you mean it looked kind of like this? Cause that's normal for some breeds.
No, it wasn't part of the meat. It was that little area above the tail. It was under the skin and I could easily cut it out and did. The other area was attached to the underside of the skin at the breast. I did end up cooking the bird, after which that part easily peeled off the skin.

I just slaughtered and butchered an old black laying hen and noticed some unusual things during the butchering. First, when I cut off the gland above the tail it was black inside. I've done this many times on other chickens but have never seen that before. Then I noticed more black lining under the skin on the breast of the bird. Has anyone else seen this before? I'm wondering if its a build up of toxins and not sure if this bird is safe to consume.
Too clarify a little more, the black part found under the skin on the tail was easy to cut away. Not so with the thin lining under the skin on the breast. I did end up cooking the bird, after which that lining easily peeled away from the skin. Sorry I don't have any pictures I can post. I will try to remember that for future posts.

Back
Top Bottom