Black rock or black copper maran?

I would say Marans, leg color slate to pink for Marans and yellow for Plymouth Rocks. I have black Marans hens with no copper in their hackles. I believe it was the English who bred the feather legs out of their line of Marans, there are lines of both in the states.

Here are my Blue Copper Maran girls and my BCM cockerel for reference
71870F32-DB7E-4CF9-8679-A2E239AE719D.jpeg
0CC91385-DC13-42BC-B8F5-C7B40ED2944E.jpeg
2E7EF137-06C2-4B7F-BE21-C753BAA2F3B7.jpeg

Copper in the hackles happens to be a Marans trait. Black Rocks are solid black. And, as someone else mentioned, I'd guess there'd be yellow at least on the bottoms of her feet if she were a Rock. :) Thinking clean-legged BCM on your girl. She's lovely. :love

One of my own Marans lacks feathered legs.

~Alex

@Alexandra33 does this mean my girls are going to have a comb and wattle growth spurt in the near future? Asking because I honestly don’t know... and I kind of like their cute little combs and mini wattles (like tiny double chins!)

I don’t know their exact age all I know is that they’re POL.My partner did say he thought she looked a bit older than the other girlies I bought but he knows more about ducks than chickens.
The pictures I googled of both breeds look so similar and both had coppery bits on their neck.It is very confusing.

Either way it seems you’ll end up with a special hen! I’ve never heard of a black rock but I’ve had a rock and a RIR and they are the best layers!
It’ll be obvious when she lays so do keep us posted~ I like to know if I guessed right :clap

Back
Top Bottom