Black Roo - what breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BantyHugger, Mar 27, 2011.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Songster

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    We just got new chicks 6 hens and a mystery roo from the straight run group. The Straight runs were not clearly bantys or standards so i just picked a large looking roo to take home with the girls. We think he might be a java. You cant see it in the pics but has white on his wings. Feet are blackish blue and white on the bottoms. The chicks came from Ideal Poultry. Can you tell what breed he is? Is he a banty?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Songster

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I looked at what ideal has to offer and because of his feet I'm thinking Australorp? the white wing feathers are really throwing me here. Do some black chickens have white when they are young?

3. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Crowing

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Some of my black orpingtons had a few white feathers when they were chicks. I think he is an Australorp.

4. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    He looks just like my black Australorp she had white on her wing tips that is my vote

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Yes, Black Australorps do sometimes have some white juvenile feathers. And the white soles of the feet would be consistent with an Australorp, too.

6. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Songster

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Australorp seems to be the winning vote! [​IMG] Thanks everyone. Im just glad hes not a banty. Id feel so bad for the little fella with all the larger ladies. [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Here is a pic of my Australorp when she was a week old. Looks just like yours. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: