Black scab on my hen’s comb and facial bump

Has anyone mentioned the possibility of eye worms? If the OP is located in a sub tropical climate, these parasites could be the problem. Squeezing the swollen tissue toward the edge of the eye will expose them. I suggest you do that.

If only waxy pus oozes out from around the eye, you will then know it's an infection and you can treat it with an antibiotic eye ointment.

Ok, while checking for weeping, the scab came off. I pressed on the area, no pus, just a little blood. I cleaned with peroxide and applied Hen Healer. As for the possibility of a tick, I didn’t see one on her head. I will check her ears after work today. Eye worms, eww! I will check that as well after work. If they are worms, what kind will they be and how do I treat them? My poor girl.

The treatment consists of pressing out the pus and fishing out the eye worms, very thin and about an inch long, with Q-tp or tweezers. Then treat the eye for infection with terramycin eye ointment.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I appreciate the time you’ve taken to help address these concerns. I could not find any embedded ticks and no evidence of eye worms. She’s still eating and drinking as well. I’ve put electrolytes in her water and gave her Nutri-drench. earlier this week. I’ve been taking her out daily to get fresh air and sunshine and eat some grass. She waddles/hops over to see her flock mates and I think that’s a good sign. So, I put her in an enclosure where she can see her sisters, but they don’t occupy the same space. Any other suggestions for nursing her back to health and putting on weight?

Foods such as cooked egg, yogurt, canned mackerel, and tofu sprinkled with Nutri-drench are what I feed a chicken recovering from illness.

Back
Top Bottom