Black sex link gender?

Hi I have 5 Black Sex link chicks they are 3 weeks old, I have 2 that look like roosters so I was wondering if they were going to turn into a cockerel or a pullet?

Hello!

I have 3 black sex links and I just had a couple questions...
They were straight run btw

Two of my black sex links look completely different then the other one I have

2 have uneven wing feathers and no tail feathers where as 1 has all even wing feathers and it does have tail feathers and this one is also a lot more red then the other two the other two barely have any red. All three are aboit 3 weeks old. Is this any indication of gender? I was told by a friend that its looking like ill have two roos and one hen. Can anyone share any thoughts?

Both the birds in these photos are pullets.

How can you tell?
The coloring is 'linked' to the sex. That's why they are called sexlinks. Males are black at hatch, with a spot of white on the back of the head. They feather in black with white stripes. Females are black at hatch, some may have a bit of white on the throat or chest. They feather in black with some gold.
IF the birds pictured in this thread really are black sexlinks, they are all females.

They have barely any tail feathers and the ones they have are curved, also have pink in the:idunno comb and waddles which the others do not have.
The coloring is 'linked' to the sex. That's why they are called sexlinks. Males are black at hatch, with a spot of white on the back of the head. They feather in black with white stripes. Females are black at hatch, some may have a bit of white on the throat or chest. They feather in black with some gold.
IF the birds pictured in this thread really are black sexlinks, they are all females.

Last edited:

I have two black sex links different from all the others they have barely any tail feathers the one that they have are curved also they have pink In comb and waddles they are 3 weeks can you help me?

I have two black sex links different from all the others they have barely any tail feathers the one that they have are curved also they have pink In comb and waddles they are 3 weeks can you help me?
Feathering rate has nothing to do with gender. Male specific feathering develops at about 10 weeks, and take several more weeks to be clearly visible.

Back
Top Bottom