Black Sex-Link is so mean!

amyseggs

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Sussex County
Right now I have 2 hens, the black sex-link and a golden comet. The comet is a sweetheart, very friendly, can always pet her. The sex-link is always on attack mode. They were both hand raised as chicks, both were given lots of love and fed a purely organic diet. Is in the nature of black sex-links to be mean? Anyone else notice different attitudes with the breeds?

Quote:
The best tasting chicken to me is a mean rooster.
smile.png

I have eight black sex links. I hope they are not mean. I'm raising them with four bard rocks. they are only a month old so we shall see. I will let you know later how they turn out. I have thirty six other chickens. I have bard rocks , golden sex links, new hamshire reds and road island reds. I just love them. Some of them are so sweet and they will come up to you to be picked up and petted like a dog. Martha from Cal.

We have three BSL - two hens and a roo. All are very friendly. I can pick them up and hold them. They have no fear, so the only real trouble is them getting in the way or trying to fly on us when we have treats. Otherwise, they are great.

I have a black sex link and she is not the least bit mean. She isn't as friendly as she used to be but she isn't the least bit mean.

ETA: That is her in my profile pic

Last edited:
I have 13 bsl and i have never had a problem with them. If you are interested in laying hens then bsl is the way to go. I have several other breeds and i get the most eggs from the bsl. As a general rule they are in the 80 to 100 precent daily, even in cold weather.

Being mean? Well they have never been mean to me but i have a bsl rooster and that sucker has to be stupid. Almost every time i enter the pen he wants to attack me. He just want give up.

IF it werent for the fact i need him to do his job i would cut his head off.

thanks

The only Black Sex Link I've ever had was the meanest hen I ever had. She was SCARY. . .

But I wouldn't just pin them as all aggressive because of her. Birds are always individual.
smile.png

I just sold a buch a black sex linked I hatched out. They would be a year old in may. They were sweet..

What was the temperment of the parents?

Thanks for the input. I realize all animals are different. It's just crazy how different my two are, being raised exactly the same way! I know I will never purchase another BSL, but will keep her until until she dies. I can't see killing her because of her attitude, she is nice to the comet and she is my pet.

Back
Top Bottom