TSC Says Black Sex Link

terb99

Hatching
Jul 5, 2023
Tractor Supply said these chicks were black sex link pullets but now that they're about 2.5 weeks I really don't think they are. To me they look like barred Plymouth rocks. Pretty sure they're hens though based on the feathering. Does anyone have an idea of what I have here? Please ignore the grey one, we know what she is lol

Attachments

• IMG_20230705_184236864.jpg
    IMG_20230705_184236864.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20230705_184229453.jpg
    IMG_20230705_184229453.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230705_184223405.jpg
    IMG_20230705_184223405.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230705_184218239.jpg
    IMG_20230705_184218239.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 15
Well, if they *were* Black Sex Links, you got all males. LOL. While TSC plays fast and lose with breed descriptions and accuracy, shall I assume that even the worst purchasing manager would purposely attempt to get female sex links?

With black sex links, it typically is a Plymoth Rock hen bred to a red based rooster, usually a Rhode Island Red or some sort. That produces, because of the genetics, a single-barred male and an unbarred female. This presents as an all black female chick and a white dot head on the black male chick, for the barring to come.

So, again assuming (maybe mistakenly) that the TSC purchasing manager hadn't been totally out to lunch, those chicks are indeed NOT black sex links.

They look to be Barred Plymouth Rocks...hopefully sexed at the hatchery (to 90% accuracy).

So far, so good. A bit early to tell with the BRs. Only a very controlled line gives reliable sexing through barring appearance as chicks since males are double barred and females single barred.

I did note that there doesn't appear to be black wash down the front of the legs on the chicks, but I've seen many feedstore Barred Rocks without that.

Good luck on girls...but you're right these are NOT black sexlinks.

LofMc

Well, if they *were* Black Sex Links, you got all males. LOL. While TSC plays fast and lose with breed descriptions and accuracy, shall I assume that even the worst purchasing manager would purposely attempt to get female sex links?

With black sex links, it typically is a Plymoth Rock hen bred to a red based rooster, usually a Rhode Island Red or some sort. That produces, because of the genetics, a single-barred male and an unbarred female. This presents as an all black female chick and a white dot head on the black male chick, for the barring to come.

So, again assuming (maybe mistakenly) that the TSC purchasing manager hadn't been totally out to lunch, those chicks are indeed NOT black sex links.

They look to be Barred Plymouth Rocks...hopefully sexed at the hatchery (to 90% accuracy).

So far, so good. A bit early to tell with the BRs. Only a very controlled line gives reliable sexing through barring appearance as chicks since males are double barred and females single barred.

I did note that there doesn't appear to be black wash down the front of the legs on the chicks, but I've seen many feedstore Barred Rocks without that.

Good luck on girls...but you're right these are NOT black sexlinks.

LofMc
Thanks for all the detail! A couple of them do have some black on the front, but I don't think they all do. Is that specific to male/female or is that just a barred rock thing?

Hmmmm...the presence of no black wash on legs could also indicate they could be California Greys. I loved my California Greys. Again the females are single barred while males double...but there is no black leg wash.

If they are hens, and they lay white eggs, they are probably California Greys. Rocks lay brown.

LofMc

Thanks for all the detail! A couple of them do have some black on the front, but I don't think they all do. Is that specific to male/female or is that just a barred rock thing?

Barred Rock thing. *SOME* carefully controlled lines can be sexed by amount of wash down the legs and size of head dot...but we're talking TSC quality feed store birds. So THAT isn't happening.

With the black wash present in some, probably Barred Rock. Excellent layers of brown eggs. Always my most curious birds. Generally friendly.

Hopefully the hatchery did a good job of sexing. My experience has held up pretty closely 90% accuracy.

Good luck.
LofMc

Back
Top Bottom