Black Sex-link Question......

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
I have a few Barred Rock hens and a friend wants some black sex-link chickens. Question is... what breed of rooster can I mate with them to get black sex-links other than a R.I.Red?

Almost any variety (color) of male (not including white or barred) can be used in a black sex-linked cross. Type "sex-link" into the google custom search in the right corner and it takes you to an article on sex-linking. Very informative. I would like to use Black Austrolorp myself. Good Luck.

Any of these roosters can be bred with Barred Rock hens for Sexlinks:

Black Australorp
Black Minorca
Blue Andalusion
Black Andalusion
Partridge Rock
Columbian Wyandotte
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Brown Leghorn
Ancona
Rhode Island Red
New Hampshire
Buff Rock
Buff Orpington
Production Red
Cherry Egger

This isn't all of the breeds, I only included the most common/easiest to find breeds. But pretty much any rooster that IS purebred, is NOT barred, and does NOT have any white, is a sure bet for making sexlinks with Barred Rock hens.

I have made Rhode Island Red x Barred Rock Sexlinks and Buff Orpington x Barred Rock Sexlinks. I'm sure you know what the RIR/BR Sexlinks look like, so here's pics of my BO/BR Sexlinks...

Chicks (females are dark with gold cheeks, males dark with silver cheeks, chick 2nd from the left is a Buff Orpington):
48412_copy_of_liesls_pics_538.jpg

Hens:
48412_liesls_pics_575.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_585.jpg

48412_liesls_pics_602.jpg

Thank you both so much! Those are some great looking hens you have there Cowgirl.
I know someone who has a French Black Copper Marans, I think I will try and use him to mate with my girls.

Most any Non-Barred Rooster over a *Barred Hen will "create" Sex-link offspring.

* Barred Plymouth Rock,
American Dominique,
Cuckoo Maran,
Barred Holland

** If you are looking for a egg laying machine I would cross a Black Andalusian or Brown (Light or Dark) Leghorn over your Barred Plymouth Rock.
Here is a good link on Sex-links https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom