Black Sex-link Question......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newchickens2009, Jun 28, 2011.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I have a few Barred Rock hens and a friend wants some black sex-link chickens. Question is... what breed of rooster can I mate with them to get black sex-links other than a R.I.Red?

2. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Anyone...........

3. coppahed

coppahed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    Montana
    Almost any variety (color) of male (not including white or barred) can be used in a black sex-linked cross. Type "sex-link" into the google custom search in the right corner and it takes you to an article on sex-linking. Very informative. I would like to use Black Austrolorp myself. Good Luck.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Any of these roosters can be bred with Barred Rock hens for Sexlinks:

Black Australorp
    Black Minorca
    Blue Andalusion
    Black Andalusion
    Partridge Rock
    Columbian Wyandotte
    Golden Laced Wyandotte
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    Brown Leghorn
    Ancona
    Rhode Island Red
    New Hampshire
    Buff Rock
    Buff Orpington
    Production Red
    Cherry Egger

This isn't all of the breeds, I only included the most common/easiest to find breeds. But pretty much any rooster that IS purebred, is NOT barred, and does NOT have any white, is a sure bet for making sexlinks with Barred Rock hens.

I have made Rhode Island Red x Barred Rock Sexlinks and Buff Orpington x Barred Rock Sexlinks. I'm sure you know what the RIR/BR Sexlinks look like, so here's pics of my BO/BR Sexlinks...

Chicks (females are dark with gold cheeks, males dark with silver cheeks, chick 2nd from the left is a Buff Orpington):
    [​IMG]

Hens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Thank you both so much! Those are some great looking hens you have there Cowgirl.
    I know someone who has a French Black Copper Marans, I think I will try and use him to mate with my girls.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most any Non-Barred Rooster over a *Barred Hen will "create" Sex-link offspring.

* Barred Plymouth Rock,
    American Dominique,
    Cuckoo Maran,
    Barred Holland

** If you are looking for a egg laying machine I would cross a Black Andalusian or Brown (Light or Dark) Leghorn over your Barred Plymouth Rock.
    Here is a good link on Sex-links https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by