black sex-link rooster or cuckoo marans?

mlynarczyk

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
I got my first 6 chickens 4 months ago from a local farm store- supposedly barred rocks, supposedly all hens. One is darker and larger than the rest, though still barred, with white/shaded legs (the others are quite yellow) and a penchant for herding the others. "It" has a beautiful green sheen to its dark feathers. I haven't heard it crow (the coop is down the road a bit), and it doesn't have spurs. It has a large red single comb (like the other BRs it came with). I'd appreciate any insights! Thanks!

This is big black on the right. Just got the advice on picture posting, so I will try to get some more helpful pics later.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Here's more of a profile from about a month ago (dark one in the middle)- comb and waddles are much bigger now and bright red. Again, the legs (hidden here) are white with some dark shading on the front.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If i am remmebering correctly- marans have white legs whereas barred tend to have yellow legs. (my barred pullets are yellow legged) i am not sure if its white with some darkness in front- someone else will have to chime in

It looks like a Cuckoo Marans hen to me...but I'm in NO WAY an expert (or even all that experienced). I have several Cuckoo Marans hens and a rooster, and one of my hens looks exactly like yours. My roo is way lighter than the hens, and his comb & wattles were very pronounced by the time he was 7 - 8 weeks old. All of them have legs colored like yours there does. I have read that the Barred Rocks have yellow legs & the Marans have the white/gray legs.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom