Black sex links

Bornacentury2L8

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Cartersville, Ga.
If A RIR roo is bred to a blacksex link will you still get black sex links. I ask because i have eggs in the bator now and in one of the runs was a RIR roo and a BSL hen. there were alot of red sex link hens in there too, but I could possibly have a cross of the two. I am just wondering.
hmm.png
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good one, I know the sex-links won't breed back to sex links, but I also have a sex-link hen and she used to run with a RIR roo, and I wanna say we got back sex-links, but I never thought about it til' now. I think it is possible, but I'm no breedologist, or whatever.

The black sex-link hens do not have the barring gene. This is why the mating back to RIR will not give a sex-lnk offspring. The mating of two black sex-links will give some chicks with barring gene some without. Not sexable at hatch by color.

I breed for the black sex link with my barred rocks and a RIR Rooster. I breed my black sex links back to a RIR rooster and I get a paler version of the barred rock pullets (Looks like the color has started to wash out of them). The male offspring of the sexed links and the RIR rooster look more like a barred rock Rooster with longer hackles like the RIR. They are very pretty and big birds.

I have never tried breeding to sexed links together, but everything I have seen, read and heard says they are hybrid and will not breed back true. I tend to believe this.

The black sexed links are excellent egg layers so far. I do not know about the BSL and RIR crosses (Dang chickens take so long to grow and start laying!), but I am curious as to if they will also be excellent egg layers.
If anyone knows, please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom