Black sexlink (blackstar) laying age?

leggomyegg0

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Robbins
I just received my Black star chicks, which I am enjoying a lot, very quiet chicks not at all flighty like the brahmas I have raised in the past. I was wonder what age I can expect them to start laying. I know the red stars start at about 20 weeks, but can anyone tell me when I can expect the Black star to begin laying?

Thanks,
Claudette

20 weeks is about right. However, with the chicks coming into point of lay in February, they'll likely take just a week or two longer than what a spring hatched chick might. The sun light hours are few, calories are being used for warmth, etc. These are all factors to consider. By March, they ought to be in full gear. Enjoy.

20 weeks is about right. However, with the chicks coming into point of lay in February, they'll likely take just a week or two longer than what a spring hatched chick might. The sun light hours are few, calories are being used for warmth, etc. These are all factors to consider. By March, they ought to be in full gear. Enjoy.
i have a question, you said they'll take just a week or two longer than what spring hatch chick might, does that mean if my birds are supposed to start laying in november, will they start laying in december, or next spring? Also, I'm in Southeastern CT

Last edited:
Chickens are photo reactive. The hours of daylight have been decreasing, in the northern hemisphere, since June 21 and we've just passed the autumnal equinox, which means that nights are longer than days. This slows everything down as nature slows. Don't be surprised if the autumn daylight slows POL or point of lay for your pullets. It's OK. I don't personally like to rush POL.

A lot of new chicken keepers are so very excited to get their first eggs. I understand. After you've done this for a few decades, you come to realize that long life, good health and good birds is more important than super early POL. Enjoy your Black Sex Links. Great hybrid. Business-like and quiet birds.

It can be as early as 18-20 weeks, as said, but if your hen is coming into laying age around fall/winter, like mine did, then I might be a bit later. Mine started in the fall at 24 weeks
thumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone for all the great replies! I'm already enjoying them quite a lot. 6 of the chicks are out in the garden with a silkie that had gone broody... One of them wasn't as spry as the others... Not sure if she'll make it, but the hen is a good momma, and she seemed to be more responsive to the hen's clucking than she was in the brooder box. I figured it was the best I could do for her.... She managed to keep up with them yesterday and was tucked under the hens wing in the nesting box last night. It's supposed to rain a lot tomorrow so she should a have pretty restful day as the hen likes to keep dry.

The rest of the chicks are in my kitchen brooder, once they are feathered out a little I'll move them to the larger barn brooder and then into a stall before the final move into the coop.

Chickens are photo reactive. The hours of daylight have been decreasing, in the northern hemisphere, since June 21 and we've just passed the autumnal equinox, which means that nights are longer than days. This slows everything down as nature slows. Don't be surprised if the autumn daylight slows POL or point of lay for your pullets. It's OK. I don't personally like to rush POL.

A lot of new chicken keepers are so very excited to get their first eggs. I understand. After you've done this for a few decades, you come to realize that long life, good health and good birds is more important than super early POL. Enjoy your Black Sex Links. Great hybrid. Business-like and quiet birds.
We are not rushing POL, we are excited for the first egg, but we are not worried, we were just wondering, because we heard that since they would start laying in november, and since that's the winter, that they would start laying in the spring instead (like April) so we were wondering if it will be pushed back a month or so like you said, or in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom