Black Sexlinks vs. Wheatan Marans - Round 1 - Ding ding!

mertzee

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Middle TN
I am having much the same problem as most, Here are my details:

I have 5 hens and (3 black sexlinks and 2 new wheatan marans) TWO of the sexlinks are extreme bullying the new marans. I have separated them for 2+ days and the remaining original sexlink decided to bully them in their absence (she gets bullied by the other two when they are together just the three of them.) They won't allow them to eat or drink. They stalk them. If they can get to them they will attack and pull feathers out. I don't want to get rid of the new ones and I don't have a place I can easily keep them separated all the time. I have the two bullies in a large dog crate but I'm afraid to leave them outside for fear of something getting them during the night so I try to move them to my shed at night. The crate is too big to try to get inside the run as the door and crate are very close to same width. Should I swap them out and put the new ones in the crate? My coop is secure and I don't worry about them in there but I don't feel comfortable leaving them in the run inside the crate even covered. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated by both me and my hens! Are they incompatible?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5083.jpg
    IMG_5083.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5113.jpg
    IMG_5113.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5114.jpg
    IMG_5114.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5115.jpg
    IMG_5115.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 6
Can you post photos from further back so we can see the entire run? How long were they able to see each other before the new ones were introduced into the pen?
Ditto Dat!

Here's some tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Wow! That's a great article! I didn't wait nearly long enough!!!
tempImageWk4iZO.jpg

Attachments

• tempImageLQPSoT.png
    tempImageLQPSoT.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • tempImagenKR5Tj.png
    tempImagenKR5Tj.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 6
  • tempImageC4we6m.png
    tempImageC4we6m.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 5
  • tempImageJJlbpA.png
    tempImageJJlbpA.png
    7 MB · Views: 5
Yup definitely could use more clutter. Scour your yard for stuff to use, or I like checking free piles of junk that people leave on the curb.
I got two nest boxes we are gonna mount on the wall and run a barrier across the run like maybe a trellis wall that way they still see but not attack. I will to inside shed each night til I can figure out how to enclose the nest boxes so they stay there safely at night. What do you think?

I got two nest boxes we are gonna mount on the wall and run a barrier across the run like maybe a trellis wall that way they still see but not attack. I will to inside shed each night til I can figure out how to enclose the nest boxes so they stay there safely at night. What do you think?

Making sure I understand with the trellis, that'll keep each group on one side or another. But what I'm talking about is clutter for when they're in the same run area, i.e. this is an illustration of the clutter in my run:
obstacles.jpg

Birds can go around, on top of, behind different objects to get away from an aggressor - by breaking up line of sight you stop pursuits. Anything against a wall also has at least 1 additional exit in it so birds can't get pinned in.

Unsure what you're trying with the nest boxes. 1) Nest boxes are NOT clutter, not unless you have a bank of them free standing in the run or something. If a bird tries to hide inside one, they'd be cornered and unable to escape from attack. 2) Birds should NOT be sleeping inside nests. Only exception are broody hens that are hatching eggs, or broodies with their babies. It's not a suitable place to lock a bird in for the night.

Making sure I understand with the trellis, that'll keep each group on one side or another. But what I'm talking about is clutter for when they're in the same run area, i.e. this is an illustration of the clutter in my run:View attachment 2658084
Birds can go around, on top of, behind different objects to get away from an aggressor - by breaking up line of sight you stop pursuits. Anything against a wall also has at least 1 additional exit in it so birds can't get pinned in.

Unsure what you're trying with the nest boxes. 1) Nest boxes are NOT clutter, not unless you have a bank of them free standing in the run or something. If a bird tries to hide inside one, they'd be cornered and unable to escape from attack. 2) Birds should NOT be sleeping inside nests. Only exception are broody hens that are hatching eggs, or broodies with their babies. It's not a suitable place to lock a bird in for the night.
On the nest boxes I’m trying to give them a place to lay as they adjust. I can’t keep them crates 24/7 as that’s just cruel. The trellis is only a temporary divider while they try to integrate. I can add obstacles as we progress. I am thinking of making a secondary coop around the nest boxes too.

On the nest boxes I’m trying to give them a place to lay as they adjust. I can’t keep them crates 24/7 as that’s just cruel. The trellis is only a temporary divider while they try to integrate. I can add obstacles as we progress. I am thinking of making a secondary coop around the nest boxes too.

Temporary trellis divider is fine, but yes once they're all in the same place you'll need obstacles they can go behind/around/on top of.

You could try a 2nd coop... some people find that works well, others find that all the birds will shove into one regardless.

Second coop in progress. I have added waterers and feeders too. These birds are gonna kill me or break me, not sure which first!!
1621264015283.png

It is hard on the hens, its hard on my mom who I started this whole endeavor for, and it's hard on me 'cause I'm doing all I know to do and it still isn't calming down. She text messages me all day while I'm at work telling me how they are being brutalized. :( Yesterday, before we started the construction of the new coop, I checked nesting boxes and one of my marans who is an olive egger had laid in the box. I can't figure out how for the life of me she got from her side to their side to use the nest box??? Only thing I can think of is she flew over the cattle panel separating them. Also one of the sexlinks was on the wrong side too??? I have put chicken wire across the lower three rows so they can't just walk/squeeze (and they have tried). As soon as I can get the new coop completed, hopefully today, I'm gonna put a few items inside the run like a pallet and maybe some sort of lean-to so they can hide. Should I try some toys of some sort too? This is driving me insane!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom