Black Shoulder Peafowl pair?

MissD'uccle

Cluck of My Life
10 Years
Dec 16, 2009
Elba Twp, MI
This is my first experience with peafowl and I purchased these little guys from a local breeder who said they were a male and a female. He also stated that if I ended up with two males or two females he would trade out for whatever I needed to make a pair. They are about 6 weeks older than when I first got them so I figured someone on here would be able to help me figure it out! Oh also, I have seen the darker one "strut" with his/her feathers puffed out like a peacock, but I have read the girls will do that also?

Thanks!!

45838_100_2959.jpg

Looks like a proper pair. On left is definitely a male, at the very least. See the crisp and complete "lacing" on back between shoulders? Male. Females generally have nothing well-defined. Either fuzzy, smudgy, streaky(in middle of feather) and if there seems to be a bar, it's not super well defined.

Not good to rely on darker vs lighter as there are many black shoulder hens that are pretty dark with lots of black but again all of it not very well defined.

I see! That makes much more sense to me. The one definately doesn't have that defined lacing. Also the one you pointed out as male is starting to get green on his back and the other isn't. Not sure if that is a male/female thing. He is the one who struts around also.

Thanks so much!

Green and especially blue on neck is also a very good sign for males. Good observation!
smile.png
Female BS often have very little green on their necks- usually in a small patch high up on back of neck. Some have more, some don't even have any, so it may show up on her much later or never. Some males are late bloomers for neck color though..... that's where the defined markings come in.

Both sexes strut. Not even the frequency is reliable, there are many females that strut like their life depended on it and some males that practically only strut once or twice until they hit 2 or 3 years old..

BTW congrats on your new birds and welcome to peafowl world.

Thank you and thanks for the information! I am very excited about the babies, they are so cute and have such great personalities!

They are beautiful! that is a lovely photo of them that you took! I am trying to sex my IBs (not quite 6 weeks yet) so printing out every photo I find of "pairs" to help me figure them out--so thank you for posting this one.

You're so very welcome
big_smile.png
I have learned so much on this website that it feels great to help pass some more along! Here is another pic of the male where you can see between the shoulders better and the blue/green coming in slightly.

45838_100_2956.jpg

Hard to believe a chick starting out almost white , will get all these colors....2 yr old blackshoulder.

peafowl081.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom