Black Silkies 17 weeks old

I would say they are all roosters. One of my silkie roosters did not start to crow until it was 6 MONTHS old. He is now about 7 months old and is just starting to develop a comb but has not wattles yet. Not only are these birds out to take over the world, they also delight in hiding their sex for as long as possible.

Richard

We'd have a house rooster if we could potty train him. It just wouldn't be a
silkie. We keep silkies in a pot or freezer.
tongue.png

Henry is Cool.

Well after all i just went through trying to figure out what mine were, I have to say it helps to see the tails while they are walking. But mine began to show differences between 4 1/2 and 6 months. I think you are on the brink of seeing the changes. Mine did not start to crow til 5 1/2 months and still at 6 months there was one not crowing. You should try for some body pics. Til then, i think it goes boy-girl-boy

My black silkies will be 20 weeks old this coming weekend. The only one with a comb as big as any of the three in the picture is my little roo and my 2 year old hen.
idunno.gif
They look like boys to me.... but that said, these are hard to sex and different strains will mature differently.

Edit: My girls start to lay about 6 months old if they are spring chicks, or 7 months old if they are winter chicks like this batch. The roo's start to crow at about 6-9 months old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom