Black sliver in egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BirdMan32, Dec 28, 2011.

1. BirdMan32

BirdMan32 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Arizona
    Thank you in advance for your responses. One of our 10 hens is a Deleware pullet that has been laying for around a week or so & the eggs are raher small (normal). Today we boiled a one of her eggs & it had a black sliver on the yolk.

Meat spot, blood spot, something else? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking meat spot.

3. BirdMan32

BirdMan32 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Arizona
    Is the meat spot harmful to eat? We do have a rooster & he certainly has mated with all the chickens of age.

4. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Do you pick the eggs everyday? the black sliver sounds like an egg that has been incubated for a few days . . .

I think there is a link on this site that shows candled eggs at each day of incubation and after a few days its a blood line (that's all), I'm assuming its a cooked blood line. I think it would be fine to eat.

5. jpcode

jpcode Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sacramento
    I vote you have a fertilised egg. If it were raw it would be a red dot so boiled it might be black. It is fine to eat.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Red dots have nothing to do with fertilization. It is just a meat spot.

7. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Eww, meat spots sound gross, why do they happen?

8. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    fertilized eggs can have a line. . . which I thought was a sliver. If it is just a spot then its still fine to eat, some chickens have a small tiny defect in their laying system and will have a small blood clot in their eggs. No biggie though.

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    can you show us a picture of the sliver?

10. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Meat spots are simply tiny ruptured capillaries, a little speck of blood. They can decrease hatching, if there are a lot of them in eggs you're trying to hatch. I've found there are more in brown layers than white. It seems that if they get plenty of dark greens (vitamin K) it will pretty much go away completely. I never had any on my free range chickens, except a little in the dead of winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by