Black soldier fly larvae

pattyhud

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2022
Hi, I have been giving my hens a couple handfuls of black soldier fly larvae everyday As a treat. Is that too much?

I have a question about this, too. Black soldier fly grubs have a lot of calcium. Can I give them this along with oyster shell, or instead of. Also, can the non-layers eat this ok? My two younger ones are due to start laying soon. Thanks

I have a question about this, too. Black soldier fly grubs have a lot of calcium. Can I give them this along with oyster shell, or instead of. Also, can the non-layers eat this ok? My two younger ones are due to start laying soon. Thanks
You can give these treats along with having oyster shell available on the side. Always have oyster shell available on the side for your hens to use as they deem necessary. Non-layers can have DBSFL as a treat too 😀

You can give these treats along with having oyster shell available on the side. Always have oyster shell available on the side for your hens to use as they deem necessary. Non-layers can have DBSFL as a treat too 😀
Thank you! I was weighing the difference between DBSFL and mealworms. I was just worried that the calcium from the DBSFL might be too much with the oyster shell that I already have out for them.

Thanks for having me in the forum. I raised chickens many years ago and have begun again this spring with 12 assorted chicks. I'm simultaneously rigging up a black soldier fly bin and, if all goes well, wonder if there is any way to preserve the larvae (assuming things work out and I get a surplus) for cold weather feeding. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance.

I'm simultaneously rigging up a black soldier fly bin
you could forgo the special bin, and craft a normal compost barrel/bin with a plywood ramp that drops into a bucket/bin

from what I saw, they crawl upward to get out once mature enough, so it doesn't matter what you use to help their escape

and if the bucket is deep enough, they can't crawl out, and they die in the bucket. Thus, giving you winter food.

Now if you want an indoor setting, NWRedworms' YouTube might be of help

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom