Black spot growing on duck egg in incubator hatching time

Scornwell

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Hello there: my duck eggs are due to hatch today . Two have pipped and are starting to zip but there are a couple that have these black spots that are growing. I am so worried. They have not pipped. Does anyone know what this means. The black spots are on the outside of the shell not inside. I have not opened or candled since lockdown. I have been looking all over this awesome site for similar issues. Please let me know if you know anything about this. Do they need help? Are they dead?I will post a picture. Thank you so much if you have any advice!

Last edited:
Wow that's alot lol I've just started .... I'm also only 18 living with my parents who didn't like the idea at first but I did a whole lot of work to make this happen and I pay for everything by my self I love animals so much and it's so amazing having them they.make me smile :D

Ok, that pic is really small and my eyes aren't working so good right now. Do the eggs kinda look like they have become "bruised" in spots? If so, I have hatched ducks twice now, and have had it happen both times. The first time, the baby died in the shell, but the second time it hatched and is perfectly fine. I'm not sure what causes this to happen, but I have a guess from my own observations. I think it maybe is a kind of "bruise". Both times it happened on mine, I found blood on the inside of the shell in a corresponding location to the dark spot outside - Like they had nicked a vein when trying to position or something.

Anyway, don't give up on your little guy yet. It could still hatch out just fine and be perfectly healthy. Good luck!
fl.gif

ETA: Sorry I JUST now saw this was posted 2 days ago. Are they hatched yet? How did it go?

Last edited:
Humblehen207, I noticed that with my first hatch. I had only a 50% hatch. This time I put hay under them in the incubator and had a 78% hatch. I'm not sure if that was the key factor in my more successful hatch rate but the ducklings sure seemed a lot more comfortable after the hatch and didn't push the eggs everywhere. They sat with their heads on other eggs and talked to the ducks inside the eggs. Twice I caught them helping them peck out of their shells. Most amazing thing! Good luck with yours :) I have 14 little guys running around. Hoping I can give some away. Too many ducks for me as awesome as they are.
1f603.png

Last edited:
I just thought well, mama would have them in a nest so what's the harm? They are still able to rock themselves into position but no egg bowling after the first hatchlings come out
1f603.png

Hatching ducks is hard I've done it twice ... muscovys are almost impossible :( I hatched 5 muscovys out of 15 but it was really bad because my uncle gave them to me half incubated ...

Hi! Currently I am actually hatching 6 duck eggs, and these bruises on them are driving me crazy! I don't know what to do and constantly worry. They are currently on lockdown and I hope they hatch. :bow

Back
Top Bottom