Black spot growing on duck egg in incubator hatching time

Humblehen207, I noticed that with my first hatch. I had only a 50% hatch. This time I put hay under them in the incubator and had a 78% hatch. I'm not sure if that was the key factor in my more successful hatch rate but the ducklings sure seemed a lot more comfortable after the hatch and didn't push the eggs everywhere. They sat with their heads on other eggs and talked to the ducks inside the eggs. Twice I caught them helping them peck out of their shells. Most amazing thing! Good luck with yours :) I have 14 little guys running around. Hoping I can give some away. Too many ducks for me as awesome as they are.
1f603.png

Last edited:
I just thought well, mama would have them in a nest so what's the harm? They are still able to rock themselves into position but no egg bowling after the first hatchlings come out
1f603.png

No difference. Adding the water was a bit tricky, but my husband drilled holes in the sides and I kept them covered with duct tape until I needed to add water. I would stick in a straw an push water through with the Baster/syringe thing you can get in the supermarket. The humidity was steady though, no big dips or increases.

Back
Top Bottom