Black spot growing on duck egg in incubator hatching time

Interesting! I honestly do not think I will do hay however, as I have a 1602N Hovabator with heating coils on the top. Id be too worried about a possible fire, especially with the incubator being in my room (teenage poultry enthusiast with few other places to put an incubator. Only real downfall is nights of screeching chicks and waking up to classes or work the next day...). I do however use a few layers of cheese cloth in the bottom of my incubator, helps reduce rolling, makes clean up easier, and makes for happy chicks. It will be a few months before I can conduct my experiments sadly, its is the dead of winter here right now!
it's ok I I keep mine in my closet lol I'm also a teenager who loves duck yay :D

Anything with feathers! Parents brought home chicks when I was little, and I fell in love. They never expected their daughter to bring home quail, ducks, turkeys, geese, pigeons, and ring neck doves... Also dont think they ever foresaw a duck in the bathtub, washing doves in the sink, or being attacked by hungry/hormonal pigeons...
Out of all my critters, I find hatching ducks the hardest however. I still have yet to quite figure them out. Wish one of my girls would just go broody!

Anything with feathers! Parents brought home chicks when I was little, and I fell in love. They never expected their daughter to bring home quail, ducks, turkeys, geese, pigeons, and ring neck doves... Also dont think they ever foresaw a duck in the bathtub, washing doves in the sink, or being attacked by hungry/hormonal pigeons...
Out of all my critters, I find hatching ducks the hardest however. I still have yet to quite figure them out. Wish one of my girls would just go broody!
Broody chickens can hatch ducks too! It was the cutest thing this summer when I had a bantam hatch and raise 5 LF ducks.

Hatching ducks is hard I've done it twice ... muscovys are almost impossible :( I hatched 5 muscovys out of 15 but it was really bad because my uncle gave them to me half incubated ...

I gave a brahma X Wyandotte hen duck eggs last spring, she did not do well with them. May have partially been because she was kind of a dumb mother.... Eating her unborn children and all... However after I rescued them I did manage to hatch a few of them in my incubator.
My American buff goose gander raises the ducklings I hatch. I was stunned when I discovered he loves babies after the ducklings wiggled their way out of the brooder and into his pen. To come home and find him with 4 ducks nestled is his fluff was a precious sight. They follow him around and he protects them. All my critters are cute, but I think my geese have to be my favorite out of them all.

I gave a brahma X Wyandotte hen duck eggs last spring, she did not do well with them. May have partially been because she was kind of a dumb mother.... Eating her unborn children and all... However after I rescued them I did manage to hatch a few of them in my incubator.
My American buff goose gander raises the ducklings I hatch. I was stunned when I discovered he loves babies after the ducklings wiggled their way out of the brooder and into his pen. To come home and find him with 4 ducks nestled is his fluff was a precious sight. They follow him around and he protects them. All my critters are cute, but I think my geese have to be my favorite out of them all.
Oh my goodness! That must have been adorable!
love.gif
love.gif

It isn't yolk sac breakage, unless more than one thing can cause them to appear. I've had it happen twice (once in each of my duck hatches). The first one died in shell, but it was fully formed with the yolk sac still intact and partially absorbed. When I eggtopsied, however, there was a lot of blood in the shell, especially around the "bruise". The second one hatched and was perfectly fine. No broken yolk sac, but there was blood staining the inside area of the shell where the bruise showed through to the outside. So, yeah, I also believe it is signs of bleeding inside. Like they maybe nicked a vein when turning or moving. But I can say from experience that it doesn't always result in death. I think it just depends on how bad they made it bleed and how strong they are.
I have just noticed a bruise on mine as well. When i candle it, it appears to be yolky in there. Just noticed yesterday, hatch day was saturday. The bruised one is moving quite a bit still, as of this morning. Im also concerned because they are late!!! How late can an egg go?

Back
Top Bottom