1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black spot inside egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ilikeeggs, Oct 11, 2008.

1. ilikeeggs

ilikeeggs New Egg

Jan 11, 2008
    I got my first brown eggs from a New Hampshire Red and when I broke it opened it had a black spot attached to the egg my wife made me throw it out. These are the frist eggs for the young hen. Should I be worried?

2. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I haven't heard of a black spot, but I do know first eggs are in many ways a bit "off." Just keep watching I am sure her eggs will clear up.

3. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    It was probably a blood spot or a meat spot. Rare but not unusual at all. This spot is from the hens reproductive system.

As I am not a sqeamish person unless it is a big spot I just take it out and use the egg anyway. If its very big I will scramble the egg and feed it back to the chcikens.

You can use the search function here and will find info or do an internet search for blood spots in chicken eggs for a more detailed explaination on how a chickens reproductive system works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by