Black spot on top of comb and near the beak

dfriloux

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
My chick has a black spot near the top of her comb and a black scabby-looking area at the bottom of her comb near her beak. Any ideas what might be causing this or what I can do to help her?

Here are some photos:

Last edited:
She got hit by something or someone in the head probably twice. Another chicken probably pecked her. Nothing to worry about.

According to my research, if this is avian pox, you should swab the area with Lugol's solution of iodine. I called the local feed store and they have "Durvet controlled iodine", but not Lugol's. Would anyone happen to know if these two things are similar and whether the Durvet's would help?

The comb and around the eyes... you have to be careful using anything, not to get it in the eyes or nostrils or mouth... but, I think that since Foul Pox is not curable, and simply has to run its course: the only thing you are trying to do is prevent infection, so any "animal" antiseptic would probably work, even "Neosporin"? Ask the feed store owner/manager, they usually know what people buy to prevent infection, or what is safe to put on and around the comb and eye area. Use fingers or q-tips, have someone hold them and be careful not to get anything in their eyes, also see if it will "melt" (Neosporin will) and drip down into the eyes after applying. Use little.
Someone else might know if an oral antibiotic would be in order now or later, as the Foul Pox progresses through the flock?
(Also, check for mites... look carefully at the eyes, rub the area that is blackened on the comb and see if it rubs into your fingers, like dried blood. Look under the wings, on and around the vent area for mites or lice. Treat mites or lice with Sevin Dust, IMO, repeat in 10 days... clean and lightly dust coop, dirt, nesting boxes, roost, and, of course, chickens, under wings, vent, where tail meets the back, and some say a bit in the upper back/shoulder area as well. Not on the face/head.)

Good luck.

Quote:
Any iodine/betadine solution works. You are just trying to dry the lesions/nodules out so they heal quicker.

OP- your bird does not have dry pox. Fowl pox is much more evident. There would be several lesions/nodules on the face, not just 2 spots. My birds had a very mild case of pox 2 years ago and they still had them all over their face, ear lobes and combs. It was very apparent that something was wrong. If you need to guess whether you have pox or not- you don't have it.

Good luck.

It looks like very mild fowl pox to me. When my birds get fowl pox it's usually only one or two lesions like on these pictures.
I wouldn't even bother treating it, personally. You can dab iodine if you wish. It may make the lesions heal quicker, but won't affect the course of the disease.
It could be something else, but that's my guess...
smile.png

Thanks, everyone! I'm keeping a close eye on her. No one else has any spots, so, I'm hoping it's nothing serious. I've examined her (as recommended) for lice and dusted everything (including the girls) with DE. I went ahead and ordered some Lugol's solution (just in case), so, hopefully, everything will be just fine! Thank you all so much for your help and your concern. I know I don't have to tell you how dear they are and how sad I'd be if anything bad happened to them!

Back
Top Bottom