Black spots in egg?

Yep I think it's making sure there aren't so many drakes that there aren't enough female ducks to accommodate them. And then again you just have to see how it goes in your flock believe me it can all be totally different than what someone else has. Are you going to have breeding pens for your ducks?
Yes I read two weeks prior to breeding separate them so trying to come. With a plan on how to build that in fall. I don't want them coupled up all day during that time. We have two barns one is smaller side were changing that into coup and adding huge outside spot attached to it. I have another coup on other side of yard. I might have to grt another muscovy now so this one isn't alone at that time.
I'll Have to try it and see how it goes. I can't keep all four drakes from Welsh harliquin I was thinking just keep them and maybe go by temperament of them. But doing that and keeping them that long would be hard to give up.
How do you have yours set up?

My Muscovy's and Runners and Buffs [Runners and Buffs hatched together so they are one flock], Muscovy's another flock they forage daily on half acre wish it was more but we live on the side of a mountain and way to expensive to do fencing here. But anyway they have houses and one is for the geese then next one houses the scovy's and chickens [LF down to tiny OEGB] then 3rd house has Runners and Buffs. My Scovy drake mates with only his females and my Runners mates with only his and occasionally runs down a scovy and stands on her lol all but one will beat his butt if he messes with them.
So all in all they live cohesively together. My worst time is when My geese start into mating season and my gander hates my Muscovy drake so he is constantly chasing him off then my Scovy drake comes into breeding season and the 2 collide so I have to separate at times till they stay out of each others way. By end of summer I am so ready for fall just because everyone is so much calmer. :hmm Now I don't breed my ducks, on occasion I will let them sit some eggs but I have found that It's best to only have 1 Muscovy drake unless you can have separate pens for each drake with females or tons of property still not sure that would help. They are very territorial and don't like another scovy drake any where near them or their females. [Been there done that] They are fighters too and boy will they fight. My Muscovy can whip the tar out of my Embden gander.

Good idea on waiting to see personality on your drakes before deciding which once you need to rehome. It is very hard to let them go but by that time you'll be very ready to say good bye to the extras. And their breed should make them easy to find home for them they are gorgeous.

My Muscovy's and Runners and Buffs [Runners and Buffs hatched together so they are one flock], Muscovy's another flock they forage daily on half acre wish it was more but we live on the side of a mountain and way to expensive to do fencing here. But anyway they have houses and one is for the geese then next one houses the scovy's and chickens [LF down to tiny OEGB] then 3rd house has Runners and Buffs. My Scovy drake mates with only his females and my Runners mates with only his and occasionally runs down a scovy and stands on her lol all but one will beat his butt if he messes with them.
So all in all they live cohesively together. My worst time is when My geese start into mating season and my gander hates my Muscovy drake so he is constantly chasing him off then my Scovy drake comes into breeding season and the 2 collide so I have to separate at times till they stay out of each others way. By end of summer I am so ready for fall just because everyone is so much calmer. :hmm Now I don't breed my ducks, on occasion I will let them sit some eggs but I have found that It's best to only have 1 Muscovy drake unless you can have separate pens for each drake with females or tons of property still not sure that would help. They are very territorial and don't like another scovy drake any where near them or their females. [Been there done that] They are fighters too and boy will they fight. My Muscovy can whip the tar out of my Embden gander.

Good idea on waiting to see personality on your drakes before deciding which once you need to rehome. It is very hard to let them go but by that time you'll be very ready to say good bye to the extras. And their breed should make them easy to find home for them they are gorgeous.
Your scenery is probably beautiful!! I'm On 66 acres of flat no trees or not many. I didn't know that about muscovy as I've read about them but not much. So if this is a drake I should probably get a muscovy female I take it. That's nice they typically stay with there own breed. As of right now I think I have two drake Anconas and three females it looks like. I need more females. I have two pblue females amd one all white hoping it gets silver or lavender soon instead of all white. I think I have enough Welchs as for now. If I keep all 11 females one drake maybe the drake will leave other birds alone. I hope this Muscovy is a female. Either way I'll. Have to figure it out I can't give it up now. Do you guys get attached to all your birds you go through this with? We helped three others nothing like this though they were all ready and no progress in couple days.
The belly on her is looking very good!! It's not open
Well sounds like there is hope from you two it can work. After talking to you guys I think I trust what you two have to say then others. They were telling me to throw black egg out with the black dots and it hatched with zero issues. Never did see what was in the egg.

We have 10.5 acres my dh calls billy goat land. :rolleyes: 65 acres wow that is awesome plenty of room for lots of animals. lol

I am very attached to all my critters. I have only had to help one duckling hatch and then save my drake from sure death from his crazed mama. I don't think I could ever hatch in an incubator it's stressful enough waiting for a mama duck to hatch.

You have a nice group of ducks going is it in your plans to have a small run hatchery?Family run not commercial?
So happy to hear the belly is looking good. Hopefully this evening you'll see noticeable improvement in those legs.

Enjoy them all.

We have 10.5 acres my dh calls billy goat land. :rolleyes: 65 acres wow that is awesome plenty of room for lots of animals. lol

I am very attached to all my critters. I have only had to help one duckling hatch and then save my drake from sure death from his crazed mama. I don't think I could ever hatch in an incubator it's stressful enough waiting for a mama duck to hatch.

You have a nice group of ducks going is it in your plans to have a small run hatchery?Family run not commercial?
So happy to hear the belly is looking good. Hopefully this evening you'll see noticeable improvement in those legs.

Enjoy them all.
I'd rather be next to mountains! Much prettier yeah small family. There is market near me we have a ton of asparagus planted. If all worked up I could pull 60-80 pounds a day. I sell Some but don't work it all up. Just need Something and would be great for my daughter's to be raised doing it. So going to hopefully start taking my stuff I plant to market and I'd advertise the birds I have.
I figured for ducks just start with these two breeds. Do two breeds of chickens and if add once I can get it going. My issue is I love animals selling ducks to someone that would kill them would be really hard. I wouldn't want to know I guess. I thought my husband was going to say no when I brought it up. He was for the idea I was suprised. Now just trying to figure out how I can get it all to work together. I have not been this excited over Something in a long time
I love this page and hearing everyone's advice.

I wish you the best in it all and to be able to raise your girls in it is going to be very rewarding plus they get to see duckling hatch an grow up with them. I have only rehomed a few drakes thankfully I try to stay on top of the population here not that easy when you have Muscovyand bantam chicken. WV can attest to the bantams lol but can’t imagine any other way of life.

When I first started, I hated getting rid of any of them! But now I try to look at it as helping others to get the same enjoyment as I get from them. I have many customers that buy for their kids 4H and fairs. I especially love when they say the kids are excited about it all.

I usually try to sell what I hatch in the incubators and I let my girls keep what they hatch, until they grow out and I assess them. I pick ones to sell based on what they want...show types or pets, etc. And I keep the best for myself. Not getting attached is rough! I have a Drake now that a customer wants, I’m just having trouble giving him up lol! But I try to see most of them as sellable. I have a few that I would not sell for anything though.

I wish you the best in it all and to be able to raise your girls in it is going to be very rewarding plus they get to see duckling hatch an grow up with them. I have only rehomed a few drakes thankfully I try to stay on top of the population here not that easy when you have Muscovyand bantam chicken. WV can attest to the bantams lol but can’t imagine any other way of life.
Thank you! I am very excited. Are those two breeds hard work together?

When I first started, I hated getting rid of any of them! But now I try to look at it as helping others to get the same enjoyment as I get from them. I have many customers that buy for their kids 4H and fairs. I especially love when they say the kids are excited about it all.

I usually try to sell what I hatch in the incubators and I let my girls keep what they hatch, until they grow out and I assess them. I pick ones to sell based on what they want...show types or pets, etc. And I keep the best for myself. Not getting attached is rough! I have a Drake now that a customer wants, I’m just having trouble giving him up lol! But I try to see most of them as sellable. I have a few that I would not sell for anything though.
Awe that's got to be hard. Can you keep any more drakes? It would be really hard to give up one you want. I do not think I could get rid of this one. There is no way.

The little guy is doing good.. Very hyper he will. Make it legs are not far out from his body now. I have a question his fett kind of go inwards and not all the time. Will this correct itself or should I be doing Something to help them?

Back
Top Bottom