Black spots on comb of new hen UPDATE: it's bloodspots from pecking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annaraven, Feb 10, 2011.

1. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    [​IMG]

One of the new chickens has these black spots. The others look okay.

She's laying, and eating, and acting healthy. Nothing on her vent feathers. That's why I'm thinking favus. Should I start with lotrimin? If so, how much?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, that isn't favus. Favus looks like scaly white patches that will peel, not black spots. Those look like peck marks from other birds. Doesn't appear to need any treatment at all to me. I bought a rooster years ago who had favus. It's nothing like your bird.

This is favus on his face. Poor boy was kept in wet, dark conditions before I rescued him, perfect for fungal growth:

[​IMG]

3. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Really? Oh. I'm so relieved. And feel kinda silly now. Still -better to ask, right?

4. speckledhen

Yup, always ask if you don't know. See? Now we saved you the cost of the med and saved your bird from having treatments daily. [​IMG]

5. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I was freaking out a little. They have a brand new big clean coop with lots of nice dry woodchips. A nice big dry run. And a lot of space to go play in the grass. I couldn't figure out how they would get a fungus, but it scared me that it could be something like a fungus. I mean - I've had chickens less than a year (August).

While waiting for an answer, I did run over the the pharmacy and grab a small tube of lotrimin just in case... glad I don't have to use it!

Is there something I should do for the spots?

6. speckledhen

No, they will heal fine. My lower ranking girls always seem to have a gouge or dried blood spots on their combs from being hassled by the older ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by