Black spots on combs ?????

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
I have 14 girls about 8 months old, orphingtons, wyannadottes and delawares. I am noticing small black spots on their combs.

I live in No.California so temperatures don't freeze. they have a wonderful brand new, secure, roomy and cozy coop, outdoor pen and get to free range several hours a day.

Are the spots anything to worry about? If yes, what do you recommend.

Thank you for your advice and your experience.
Anne

Do the black spots wash off, are they really small? It could very well be just picking on each other or scratches and scrapes due to a bit of pecking to figure out who gets which spot in their new home. I know some of my birds have black scabs once in a while the size of pen tips. Had one roo get his comb caught in a fence and that was a mess.

Yep, I agree that the hens are giving each other a peck to remind everyone who is who in the pecking order. It happens all the time, even when the same hens are together for years. Gotta love those pretty hens.
love.gif

bigzio

Black spots are quite small, and they do not wash off. I looked at the "disease" page for avian pox, and I don't believe it is what I see in the picures. (I hope not anyway)

Thank you for your responses.
Anne

I'm also interested in the answers to this...my girls have had black spots on their combs for quite some time. Ruby, my BO, has the most noticeable ones. As far as I know they don't come off. My GLW also has them. I haven't noticed any on my Dominiques...maybe the single combs are inviting for pecking??

Amy

When my hens had black spots on their combs, I put bag balm on them twice a day and it went away within a two or three days. They can burn themselves on heat lamps, or like it has been said, pecked or poked in some way. Check for loose chicken wire/nails/etc and make sure any heat lamps have something to protect the chickens from actually touching the bulb if they get adventurous and jump.

Back
Top Bottom