Black spots on my hens combs

Marinasopho

Hatching
Nov 24, 2020
Hello this is my first ever flock of hens. I see now for two days that some of them have black spots on their combs. I went to the vet showed them a photo , and they didn’t have a clue. I’ll post the photos here. Please help. I’m worried about my girls. They eat and move fine. No problem no changes in behavior or

Attachments

• 9B423E96-A012-427B-9533-314A1A7FE732.jpeg
    9B423E96-A012-427B-9533-314A1A7FE732.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 24F2AD63-CFA0-41D1-BE38-F265E200E11E.jpeg
    24F2AD63-CFA0-41D1-BE38-F265E200E11E.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 7
It appears to be dirt, I would take a damp cloth, and try to see if it comes off. You can actually see the dirt/debris accumulating in some parts. I believe frostbite would be more focused on the tips, as that is the case with most birds.

It appears to be dirt, I would take a damp cloth, and try to see if it comes off. You can actually see the dirt/debris accumulating in some parts. I believe frostbite would be more focused on the tips, as that is the case with most birds.
Thank you. Yesterday I was putting coconut oil and my hands were getting dark. I’ll try what you said and I hope that’s it. I read about frostbite and one person close to us , that has chickens said it’s not too cold yet.

Could it be fowl pox? Mine have had that before but it appears more spotted/ scabby than the simply smudged gray color of comb from your photo. I hope it is just dirt, but if it happens to be fowl pox, no worries, my chickens overcame it just fine and continued to lay eggs and behave normally throughout. I just gave them additional protein (their own eggs, scrambled) as I read online :p Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom