Black spots on wattles!

SoCal-chick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 17, 2007
San Diego
Help, We just noticed today some small black, irregular spots on the wattles of a couple of our 11 week old RIR. Please tell me this is nothing to worry about!

Hi So-Cal. It's possible that its frostbite, but check out the disease threads. Someone posted a link to a page that talks about a possible disease with pictures so you can tell. I,m checking the list of threads as I type this...One by sandra chick has a link to what frostbite looks like. I hope it wasn't on the other site...still checking...Darn I don't see it. Hopefully someone will be on tht can tell you! Good luck!

Thanks HenHappy, only it cant have been frostbite, our lows are in the fifties. I'm hoping its a normal discoloration and not pox!
sad.png

Duh..."SO CAL"... southern california. Dumb girl!
big_smile.png
I'll keep my fingures crossed for ya!Being from Canada I just asume anything going black is frostbite!!! BRRRRrrrr. Are they tiny spots or big?

HenHappy, you aren't a dumb gal! We do get some frost in southern california but not enough to get frostbite. The spots are tiny clusters, and they aren't raised. Thanks for helping me with this!
smile.png

If it is pox, be sure to treat to keep from a secondary infection. 300 mg Terramycin per gallon h2o for 3 days, followed by a vitamin suppliment in their water(Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow).

The most likely cause is from other birds pecking at them or from them cutting or nicking the wattles on something. Take a finger nail and see if you can scap it off since it most likely a scab. Chicken pox normally looks like a big pimple with the black dot in the middle.

Thanks, I'll wait and see what develops. If it starts looking like pox, can I get the medicine from a feed store or do I need to go to a vet?

Back
Top Bottom