Black spots on wattles!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SoCal-chick, Mar 8, 2007.

1. SoCal-chick

SoCal-chick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2007
    San Diego
    Help, We just noticed today some small black, irregular spots on the wattles of a couple of our 11 week old RIR. Please tell me this is nothing to worry about!

2. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Hi So-Cal. It's possible that its frostbite, but check out the disease threads. Someone posted a link to a page that talks about a possible disease with pictures so you can tell. I,m checking the list of threads as I type this...One by sandra chick has a link to what frostbite looks like. I hope it wasn't on the other site...still checking...Darn I don't see it. Hopefully someone will be on tht can tell you! Good luck!

3. SoCal-chick

Feb 17, 2007
    San Diego
    Thanks HenHappy, only it cant have been frostbite, our lows are in the fifties. I'm hoping its a normal discoloration and not pox![​IMG]

4. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Duh..."SO CAL"... southern california. Dumb girl![​IMG] I'll keep my fingures crossed for ya!Being from Canada I just asume anything going black is frostbite!!! BRRRRrrrr. Are they tiny spots or big?

5. SoCal-chick

Feb 17, 2007
    San Diego
    HenHappy, you aren't a dumb gal! We do get some frost in southern california but not enough to get frostbite. The spots are tiny clusters, and they aren't raised. Thanks for helping me with this![​IMG]

6. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    If it is pox, be sure to treat to keep from a secondary infection. 300 mg Terramycin per gallon h2o for 3 days, followed by a vitamin suppliment in their water(Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow).

7. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    The most likely cause is from other birds pecking at them or from them cutting or nicking the wattles on something. Take a finger nail and see if you can scap it off since it most likely a scab. Chicken pox normally looks like a big pimple with the black dot in the middle.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Usually, my lower ranking Girls have a spot or two from being pecked by the others. Like a blood blister almost. Not usually anything to worry about, if that's what it is.

9. SoCal-chick

Feb 17, 2007
    San Diego
    Thanks, I'll wait and see what develops. If it starts looking like pox, can I get the medicine from a feed store or do I need to go to a vet?

10. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Terramycin can usually be found at most feed stores as well as tractor supply stores, orshellins, etc., can also order it off the net, check hatcheries like murray mcmurray for available medications.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by