1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Star Rooster-Solid Black

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by easyjet23, Jul 14, 2011.

1. easyjet23

easyjet23 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Nowata, OK
    I bought some black star hens from a good friend, that only has RIR Roosters and Barred Rock hens. 3 of the "hens" are getting longer tail feathers, saddle feathers, and have huge feet. They are all black with a little red on the neck and breast just like the other hens. Is this possible?

2. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Post some pictures, and how old are they? I have one black sex link female and looks pretty much like what you described. It is almost 17 weeks old and just started laying a few days ago, I have had two eggs in the last 6 days, the first was very soft shelled.

3. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Sounds like black sex links.
    [​IMG]
    These are my sex links when they were 7-8 wks.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Genetically the solid colored birds should be hens. How old are they, could these three just be maturing earlier, or we talking serious saddle/hackle feathers? I'd love to see some pics!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

6. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2

X3 The roos should be barred in some way [​IMG] like this was my BSL rooster

[​IMG]

this is my hen at laying age all of the black

[​IMG]
    a younger pic

[​IMG]

hope this helps [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  7. easyjet23

May 9, 2011
    Nowata, OK
    These are the "hens" I was talking about. The one picture is of one by itself, and the other is all three together drinking. What do you think? They have deep "voices" but no crow yet. The rest of the hens that i know are hens look just like the ones in 1newegg's photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sometimes it is hard to tell, but I don't see any pointed hackle or saddle feathers. Waddles and comb can vary quite a bit.

If all he has for hens is Barred Rocks, it is impossible for the roosters to not be barred. I think you have hens.

9. easyjet23

May 9, 2011
    Nowata, OK
    These three are so different than the others. My friends only have barred hens, and RIR roosters. Hopefully they will lay soon.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If your friend truly has only has R.I. Red Roosters and Barred Rock hens then I would say one or some of the parent stock are not pure.
    Reason why,
    If the parents were pure they would be sex-linked and you don't get Blue/ Black legs like that from a R.I. Red/Barred Rock cross also you don't get the color pattern of the rooster in the first picture between the 2 Black Fowl.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by