Black Star Rooster-Solid Black

Quote:
My bsl had black legs and are now 3 months old and still have varying leg color one has solid black legs and two have black with some yellow splotches on them.

Quote:
My bsl had black legs and are now 3 months old and still have varying leg color one has solid black legs and two have black with some yellow splotches on them.

Are you positive that your Black sex-link is a R.I. Red Rooster over a Barred Rock hen cross?
Some sex-links can and will have black legs depending on the Rooster used.

Chris

Quote:

Are you positive that your Black sex-link is a R.I. Red Rooster over a Barred Rock hen cross?

Chris

Aren't all BSL either RIR or NH roo over barred hen? Could NH blood be the cause of black legs?

Quote:

Chris

Aren't all BSL either RIR or NH roo over barred hen? Could NH blood be the cause of black legs?

A Black Sex-link can be most any Rooster over a Barred Hen.
Here is a great post on sex-links https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

A Black Australorp rooster over a Barred Rock hen will produce nice black sex links and I'd expect them to have black legs. Maybe even a bit of black on their beak.

If the mother is barred, it does not matter what the rooster is. The male offspring will be barred. The mother gives the barred gene to her sons and nothing of that nature to her daughters. The barred gene is dominant over not barred. All male offspring from a barred hen will be barred. The only difficulty is when the offspring is white, then you cannot see the barring. It is still there but you just can't see it. But with those black chickens, any barring would be pretty evident.

If the rooster is not barred, then the daughters will not be barred. It does not matter if the hen is barred or not. The hen gives nothing in the line of barred or not barred to her daughters.

If the only hens he had are Barred Rocks, those cannot be roosters. If the only hens he has are Dominique, those cannot be roosters. If the mother was barred, those cannot be roosters.

If he had a barred rooster that was not pure but was split for barred and he had some Rhode Island Red hens, then those could be roosters. But that is not what the OP said.

Either those are hens or the mothers are not barred. I don't know which is correct. They do look a little roo-ish to me, but I can't see saddle or hackle feathers that well. I tend to think they are roosters, but I'd not bet much of your money on it and none of mine. I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom