Black star rooster???!

Pics

Momma*chicken

Songster
5 Years
Jun 14, 2018
Upstate NY... Adirondacks
So we purchased many chicks recently and unfortunately, which tractor supply is SOOO famous for, 3 chicks that were labeled as pulleys, are 100% cockerel. This is so frustrating. So here's my dilemma, I am confused. I thought that black stars were sex links, so I thought I was guaranteed pullet. However, this little black is star is obviously 100% cockerel. So did tractor supply have a different breed mixed up with the black stars and I just didn't notice? I mean the feathering to me looks like a black star. I have adult ones, so I am familiar with them. Is this possibly a different similar looking breed? Or is there such thing as a male black star? :idunno
For reference he is about 4 1/2 to 5 weeks old
20210917_191921.jpg
20210917_191915.jpg
20210917_191904.jpg
20210917_191858.jpg

So we purchased many chicks recently and unfortunately, which tractor supply is SOOO famous for, 3 chicks that were labeled as pulleys, are 100% cockerel. This is so frustrating. So here's my dilemma, I am confused. I thought that black stars were sex links, so I thought I was guaranteed pullet. However, this little black is star is obviously 100% cockerel. So did tractor supply have a different breed mixed up with the black stars and I just didn't notice? I mean the feathering to me looks like a black star. I have adult ones, so I am familiar with them. Is this possibly a different similar looking breed? Or is there such thing as a male black star? :idunno
For reference he is about 4 1/2 to 5 weeks oldView attachment 2836900View attachment 2836901View attachment 2836902View attachment 2836903
Looks like a cockerel. Not sure on breed.🤷🏽‍♀️

For reference he is about 4 1/2 to 5 weeks oldView attachment 2836900View attachment 2836901View attachment 2836902View attachment 2836903

Looks like a black sexlink

Yes, 100% cockerel, that the one thing I'm positive of. Just confused because black sex link means sex linkage, meaning they shouldn't have labeled a cockerel as a pullet. They should be able to point out the pullers uopn hatch right?

Yes, 100% cockerel, that the one thing I'm positive of. Just confused because black sex link means sex linkage, meaning they shouldn't have labeled a cockerel as a pullet. They should be able to point out the pullers uopn hatch right?
This is correct. A male black sex link would of had a head spot and feathered out barred.
It doesn't quite look like the female BSL pattern to me.
IDK what it is and if it was from TSC via Hoover's its hard to say since they're mixing so many breeds now days.

This is correct. A male black sex link would of had a head spot and feathered out barred.
It doesn't quite look like the female BSL pattern to me.
IDK what it is and if it was from TSC via Hoover's its hard to say since they're mixing so many breeds now days.
This is so frustrating that tractor supply doesn't sell true to the breed. We got some Amberlink pullets and one is a cockerel (same thing happened to us the last time we bought amberlinks 2 yrs ago), and some barred rock pullets which one is a cockerel and these black sex links, which resulted in this little guy. Now in total we've got 11 boys, 10 cockerels and one adult rooster. We already had enough boys to begin with. I can't believe we got 3 boys in a bunch that were supposed girls... So annoyed with tractor supply :he

Maybe not a cockerel!
Update us in a few weeks.
What do the other pullets look like?

Back
Top Bottom