Black Stool-Cause for real concern?

ddboersma

Songster
May 2, 2022
Hello! I have a flock of 12 hens that are 25 weeks old. Now and then I’ve seen a dark stool over the months, but have noticed more as of late. I’m not sure what the cause can be, as everything I read says it’s internal bleeding or from eating something dark. Neither of those seem likely for my flock. Today I spotted a hen responsible for black stool, but I don’t know if there are more.
They are in a large covered/secure run with sand on the bottom. They have never free ranged (as of yet). They are only fed Organic pellets. I have sprouted grains now and then but haven’t in a few weeks. I had an aggressive feather pecker that I had to re-home, but this gal has never shown harm being done to her (I checked for damage nightly on the roost with a flashlight while I was trying to pinpoint the pecker). She acts/eats/drinks normal.
Can there be any other cause??
Images attached. Thanks in advance for your help ♥️

Attachments

• IMG_4725.jpeg
    IMG_4725.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4726.jpeg
    IMG_4726.jpeg
    675.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4727.jpeg
    IMG_4727.jpeg
    955.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4728.jpeg
    IMG_4728.jpeg
    953.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4729.jpeg
    IMG_4729.jpeg
    946.4 KB · Views: 5
My first thought was that it looked dark. Second thought was if they had access to anything dark to eat because otherwise it looked normal.

If you’ve identified the bird who produced it, and they’re eating/drinking/acting normally, I wouldn’t be concerned.

Sure they arent sneaking some grape skins or beets while you aren’t looking?

My first thought was that it looked dark. Second thought was if they had access to anything dark to eat because otherwise it looked normal.

If you’ve identified the bird who produced it, and they’re eating/drinking/acting normally, I wouldn’t be concerned.

Sure they arent sneaking some grape skins or beets while you aren’t looking?
They are in a 25x25 run with roof 24/7 with a sand floor and no access to anything, so no 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom