Black Vultures

NancyNurseCxMama

Songster
Jun 1, 2017
Hudson Valley, NY
I had five Black Vultures sitting in a big dead tree near my run today.
All five were staring into the run.
I did some reading and it seems that they not only eat carrion but have been known to attack and kill prey, including chickens. They are supposedly nastier than Turkey Vultures, which we also have. I read that they don't have talons but have very powerful beaks.
Anyone have any experience with these creepy birds attacking their flock?
My run is completely enclosed in hardware cloth so they can't get in but still....scary birds.

I had five Black Vultures sitting in a big dead tree near my run today.
All five were staring into the run.
I did some reading and it seems that they not only eat carrion but have been known to attack and kill prey, including chickens. They are supposedly nastier than Turkey Vultures, which we also have. I read that they don't have talons but have very powerful beaks.
Anyone have any experience with these creepy birds attacking their flock?
My run is completely enclosed in hardware cloth so they can't get in but still....scary birds.
Yes, my young birds were free ranging close to their chicken tractor and black vultures killed and ate two pullets, all except the drum sticks. I quit letting them out after that.

The black vultures/buzzards make multiple fly-bys daily. I have sheets and scraps of fabric hanging up so distract them. I also go out often and when I see them, tell them to move along.

I have a lot of hiding spaces for my animals.

I point them out to my animals and tell them they are bad birds and to hide from them.

And there is the rooster relay. The animals alert each other, especially if there is a low fly by or multiple birds flying/circling around.

Haven't lost an animal to a predator yet, but I know it's a possibility.

Give your guys a lot of hiding places...put stuff up that will flap in the wind. Move stuff around so it's not always the same. Maybe provide more covered spaces.

Where Black Vultures are concerned, I am betting without actual experience, that fully adult chickens will be OK with ample cover to retreat to.
Well these girls were nearly POL when they were killed. If they can kill a calf with a mamma cow protecting it, a chicken should be no problem. Vultures are pretty big!

Back
Top Bottom