Blackberries...

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
I'm about to have a bumper crop. We were timbered out a couple years ago and as I was walking the logging path yesterday, I was amazed at the blackberry bushes. They are just absolutely loaded with soon to be ripe berries.

I plan on making a seedless preserve - if I can find a recipe, and I'm interested in what else you all do with your surplus berries.

Blessings-
Em

I can the juice and my wife often drinks a little of it with breakfast like many people do orange juice. You can also use the canned juice for cooking, say in a cobbler. Last year I made a small amount of blackberry syrup and served that to guests over vanilla ice cream.

When I pick them, I usually rinse them off and put them in a zip lock type bag and freeze them. That way, I can store up enough for a decent sized canning and can them when I want to, not when I am hot and scratchy from picking them.

We eat until we can't eat anymore, then can til I'm sick of canning... then husband makes an amazing wine with the leftovers! Though this year, I plan on freezing them in small portions (8-10oz) for use in smoothies.

You can always freeze some. Put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer so they don't freeze into a big lump and then when they are hard put them in a freezer bag. This way you can pull out a handful or a few cups.... what ever you happen to need.

We do this with blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. Works like a charm!!

I wash mine and let them completely dry on a paper towel. Then I put them in a freezer bag and freeze until I'm ready to make the jam. I take the seeds out in my jam, so it's quite a process.

I grow blackberrys, blueberrys, strawberrys, and red and white raspberries. I found a great country wine recipe and now I save my harvest to make wine

Back
Top Bottom