Blackened Comb And Hoarse Clucking

what_the_flock

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
One of our brahmas has recently gotten a black/brownish color to part of her comb, and some on her feathers too. Additionally, when she clucked, her voice was very hoarse and scratchy. Is she ill? The comb bit may just be mud, but it didn't come off when I tried to clean it. Plus, it was only on her comb.

Here's the best photo I could get.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 6
It looks like dried blood or some type of scabbing. Is she being picked on, perhaps pecking order issues?

Another possibility is fowl pox mainly caused by mosquitos. Fowl pox lesions appear on the comb, wattles, around the eyes and sometimes the legs. Look inside her mouth for fowl pox lesions or anything else out of the ordinary and let us know what you see.
While you're at it, smell her breath and let us know if there's a sour or foul odor.

Do you have a rooster?
It looks like a scab from what I can tell.
I agree, if her voice seems a bit different, then look inside the beak for any signs of canker/lesions.
It's a good idea to check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.

Do you have a rooster?
It looks like a scab from what I can tell.
I agree, if her voice seems a bit different, then look inside the beak for any signs of canker/lesions.
It's a good idea to check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.
Our rooster does like to mount the brahmas alot. I'll check her beak, and see if we can keep the rooster off of her. Thanks for the advice from both of you.

Back
Top Bottom