Blackhead

CocoTurkey

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2015
I have had two poults die recently. I noticed what I believe is a symptom of blackhead. When they poop sometimes it's foamy and yellowish. This is my only link to blackhead I can find. They were shipped with chicks on accident (they sent us 8 male chickens for who knows what reason.)I'm wondering if this foam is just their pee, something poults do, or blackhead. If it is blackhead what should I do?The poults are only 8 days old, could they already have blackhead? They've been pooping like this since they were shipped. Thanks for all replies!

Last edited:
I don't know much about blackhead but if they were accidentally shipped with chicken chicks, they could have been fed chick feed with antibiotics in it that turkeys can't handle. They basically get poisoned. You should check with the place they came from and have them see if they could have fed the turkeys some chicken starter by mistake. If it was a mistake on their part, (and hopefully it is a company honest enough to fess up) they may even replace the dead chicks.

Last edited:
I don't know much about blackhead but if they were accidentally shipped with chicken chicks, they could have been fed chick feed with antibiotics in it that turkeys can't handle. They basically get poisoned. You should check with the place they came from and have them see if they could have fed the turkeys some chicken starter by mistake. If it was a mistake on their part, (and hopefully it is a company honest enough to fess up) they may even replace the dead chicks.
Thanks for the reply. It may be so but their droppings are reminiscent of symptoms of blackhead. I'm gonna feed the poults cayenne pepper and see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom