BLAH... Just tracked a bunch of chicken poop into the house.

Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
UGH!!!
sickbyc.gif

I took a tiny step outside the back door to check on something... I didn't even go all the way outside and without even thinking about it (I have outside and inside shoes for this reason) came back in the house and tracked a TON of very fresh pea green and mustard streaks all over the place.

We don't usually let the chickens in this area of the yard, but one has been flying over the fence and I guess decided to hang out by the door looking for some hand outs.

Well, my wife kindly pointed out my mistake and I spent the last 20 minutes using all kinds of cleaners and disinfectants to do my best to get it all.

I'm still feeling sick that I did it and that I didn't even think about it.

Don't underestimate the importance of changing your shoes when you go outside!

May I suggest getting rid of ALL the carpet. Long ago, my wife and I decided that tile, laminate, peel & stick or even painted concrete are the floors for us. We have always had three dogs and the chickens have just added another reason. This also helped when my son had a few parties when it was raining outside. We just leave the door open a lot and mop when things get dirty.

Oh dear...... I always have inside and outside shoes also..... but the best thing was when I pulled up all the carpets downstairs and laid wooden flooring......
hugs.gif

If you have chicken poop on your shoes, you might have a hard time getting into some secured areas. Those sniffer things can't tell the difference between some poop and explosives.

They don't know poop about poop.

Step carefully.

Rufus

I went to the coop one evening to toss some tomatoes out there came back in took the shoes off went to bed. So the next morning, slipped the shoes back on, went to work - and left a big huge flattened pile of poop held together with straw in the hallway at work. I could hear a bunch of "what IS that?" How embarassing!!

I'm sure your Darling Wife did more than just "Politely" point out your mistake.
lau.gif
I have a pair of those shoes they call boat dockers canvas tops, rubber bottoms that I wear most of the time around the house and yard. Of course with 6 small dogs running around the yard I don't always see their "Presents" they leave me.

So I built a scraper that I use before I come into the house. I have linoleum and hardwood floors throughout the house, but still, I don't want to track in stuff and wake up in the night smelling something I shouldn't!
ep.gif

That is one reason I put a cover over the coop/run area, especially after spending two days chasing my roo all over the neighborhood, but that is another story.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom