Bleach in water

Angiebubs

Songster
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Amery, WI WI/MN border
I had a business years ago, raising exotic birds (parrots) and it was common practice to add a tsp of bleach to a gallon or so of water. (Discovered by Bird-man-of-Alcatraz) It helpedprevent and treat many issues. Does anyone know if this practice carries over to chickens?

personally i wouldn't use it in their water. if you know how and why bleach was created you would know my reasons. i have Oxine AH on order to use for cleaning and adding to the water for my chickens and it is stronger (effective wise) than bleach but is safe around humans and pets while also being considered organic for use around food areas. just don't get the activating crystals. Speckled Hen has a thread about her use of it.

I use bleach water to clean my water dispensers. I always rinse well with fresh water, but I'm sure there is a trace of bleach left. I wouldn't intentionally add bleach to their water. Cleaning and giving fresh water every day should be sufficient, I would think. I always add vitamens to their water, too, but at half of what is recommended. I'm new to this, though, so listen to the more experienced, and if anyone thinks that what I do or suggest is wrong, please tell me so...I'm over 50; you won't hurt my feelings!
wink.png

Last edited:
There are plenty of us that have raised chickens for years that use Bleach in our drinking waters.

If city water:

1 oz to 1 gallon of water

If well water:

2 oz to 1 gallon of water

You have to use plastic waterers of some sort.

I wouldn't think of giving water to my birds without Bleach in it. I'm sure the Oxine is good: perhaps even great. But for the money you can't beat Bleach.

Grapefruit seed extract in the water if going all natural!

The sell it as a water purifier in health food shops.

It has anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti viral properties.... and it stops any green goo growing in the water!!!!

I switch between oxine and apple cider vinegar.

Bleach is poison, I'd never think about using it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom