Bleeding comb

Mar 30, 2018
This must have happened last night or early this morning. It looks like part of her comb is gone...not much, just the tip. I am assuming one of the other chickens pecked her. They have never drawn blood before, but this particular chicken is lowest in the pecking order and tends to annoy the others quite a bit as well.
I cleaned all the blood off her feathers and comb, with soap and water, and applied a little cornstarch to stop the bleeding. Anything else I should do? I am keeping her separated for now, until I know for sure there is no more bleeding. She is eating and drinking normally and laid an egg today.

Attachments

• 20181018_123123.jpg
    20181018_123123.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 23
If you can't wash it off, then apply some BluKote to hide the redness.
With her being lowest in pecking order, the longer she is away from the flock, the harder it's going to be for her when you put her back in.

When you put her back, stay out there and observe them all for a good while to see how it goes.

I sat out and watched for about 45 minutes, and they ignored her. My daughter and I got almost all the blood off.
I went in to take dinner out of the oven, then ran back out and they had attacked her again. They got her right above the eye, and on her comb again. She's bleeding again. I separated her out again.

I am going to run up to another feed store tomorrow, that is 30 minutes away. I called them tonight and they have BluKote, but will be closed before I can get there tonight.

So she is in the portable run now, and I will bring her inside, in the dog crate tonight. I guess it will have to be a slow introduction back with the others after she gets treated.

If the worst case scenario happens and they won't accept her back, do I keep trying (putting the crate in the run, letting them out together in the yard, etc), or do I need to find her a new home?

I just had this happen ,
Use shampoo to clean the blood off, I had a white hen with blood . I washed it all off then put that bleeding stop stuff for cutting dogs nails ....

Once mine smelled like cucumbers not blood they left her alone

I just had this happen ,
Use shampoo to clean the blood off, I had a white hen with blood . I washed it all off then put that bleeding stop stuff for cutting dogs nails ....

Once mine smelled like cucumbers not blood they left her alone

Oh good idea! I didn't think about shampoo. I am too worried to put her back in with them tonight, as I want to be able to watch them for a while together, and it is already getting dark here. Hopefully I can get the BluKote tomorrow as well.

I didn’t get it ( blue kote)never used it.Since it’s her comb not an open sore , I wouldn’t bother with it

I forgot I did put polysporin or any ointment on it for infection .

But yes give her time to heal ,
Can’t chickens be just brutal?
My ducks are much nicer

I didn’t get it ( blue kote)never used it.Since it’s her comb not an open sore , I wouldn’t bother with it

I forgot I did put polysporin or any ointment on it for infection .

But yes give her time to heal ,
Can’t chickens be just brutal?
My ducks are much nicer

This is the first time mine have drawn blood. She does have an open peck spot above her eye now. It isn't too bad and not bleeding anymore.

Back
Top Bottom