Blind chicken? Mareks disease? HELP!

Congenital defect is just a birth defect- it's possible your chicken was just born with unusual eyes if she was always like this. It does look a lot like ocular mareks but that does seem to take a little while to show up so if she hatched with pupils like this it's unlikely. If it is mareks and she's been like this for months then your flock has already been exposed so putting her down wouldn't make a difference. If it is ocular Mareks only then it should only affect the eyes, though it seems like some chickens can get multiple types of mareks.

Are you in the UK? We too have got ours in because of bird flu - and they don't see as clearly in the gloom as they do outside.

@theoldchick is spot on in my opinion. If she is a pet, then let her live out her life and just (as you seem to be anyway) keep an eye out to make sure she is eating and drinking and not being bullied. She is a good looking chicken - doesn't appear to be ill in the photo.

If your chickens are pets, let her live as normally as possible. If she does have Mareks your main concern is not allowing the disease to leave your flock. That means don't sell any chickens or allow them to hatch any chicks. I wouldn't add any chickens to the flock, either. If she's doing normal chicken things then allow her to continue to do so. However, if this flock is providing income to your family a more aggressive treatment methods need to be applied.

At the moment we're in chicken lockdown, because of bird flu we've had to get all of them in and keep them away from wild birds so we wont be adding any hens/ selling. We don't hatch chicks now, they're only layers and we're not selling a lot at the moment. She seems fine and none of the others are showing the symptoms of mareks so I think I'll leave it for now.

Congenital defect is just a birth defect- it's possible your chicken was just born with unusual eyes if she was always like this. It does look a lot like ocular mareks but that does seem to take a little while to show up so if she hatched with pupils like this it's unlikely. If it is mareks and she's been like this for months then your flock has already been exposed so putting her down wouldn't make a difference. If it is ocular Mareks only then it should only affect the eyes, though it seems like some chickens can get multiple types of mareks.

Oh ok, I was always wondering if it effected her sight and I think it always has, she was the "runt" of her brothers and sisters and was always the last to have the food, but never showed signs of being thin or unhappy. I'll watch out for symptoms.

Are you in the UK? We too have got ours in because of bird flu - and they don't see as clearly in the gloom as they do outside.

@theoldchick is spot on in my opinion. If she is a pet, then let her live out her life and just (as you seem to be anyway) keep an eye out to make sure she is eating and drinking and not being bullied. She is a good looking chicken - doesn't appear to be ill in the photo.

Yes that seems to be the best option. Our girls are angry they're not outside and I expect having to use a manual light instead of the sun has angered a lot of them. When she was outside she was running around and catching bugs so I guess it must be the inside life that has messed with her :(

I pick her up everyday to feel her weight and always give her a snack, sometimes she misses and bites my hand or jacket but other than that she seems to get around easily.

Yes that seems to be the best option. Our girls are angry they're not outside and I expect having to use a manual light instead of the sun has angered a lot of them. When she was outside she was running around and catching bugs so I guess it must be the inside life that has messed with her :(

I pick her up everyday to feel her weight and always give her a snack, sometimes she misses and bites my hand or jacket but other than that she seems to get around easily.
UPDATE/

She is ok! I've named her blind betty, unfortunately our hens are still inside, but she is getting on a lot better. She's back to her average weight and has gotten the hang of jumping onto perches even thought she can't see them. :)

Back
Top Bottom