Blind chicken? Mareks disease? HELP!

Skyler vaughan

Chirping
Sep 15, 2019
My hen who I’ve had since she was a chick has always had really tiny pupils, I always wondered if she was blind and I’ve only started noticing that she has a little trouble seeing. Mainly her perspective is off. I searched this up and it told me about mareks disease and how I’d have to put her down. I’m really not sure but here is a photo of her eye. They’re both like that.

could someone help me please?
3E125DF9-B611-4045-B4AE-B1EE0CAA0105.jpeg

If she were mine, I would observe to assure that she was not being bullied provide food and water in a consistent spot and manner to assure that she got enough to eat and allow her to live her life as long as quantity of life exists. If it is Marek's, and I'm not certain that it is, your flock has already been exposed so there's no reason to cull her.

Did you say that she's been like this since she was a chick? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I saw on another thread that marek's doesn't have time to get that bad before the chick grows up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If she were mine, I would observe to assure that she was not being bullied provide food and water in a consistent spot and manner to assure that she got enough to eat and allow her to live her life as long as quantity of life exists. If it is Marek's, and I'm not certain that it is, your flock has already been exposed so there's no reason to cull her.
Ok thats a relief, shes eating and drinking and she's quite a heavy hen. Her eye sight has only recently gotten a little worse but I'm not sure if thats because she was so used to being an outside hen (we had to get ours in from bird flu).

I've been monitoring her and only one hen has a go at her sometimes, other than that she seems quite happy.

Did you say that she's been like this since she was a chick? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I saw on another thread that marek's doesn't have time to get that bad before the chick grows up. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes she's always had tiny pupils compared to her sisters. Does that mean she'll be alright?

If your chickens are pets, let her live as normally as possible. If she does have Mareks your main concern is not allowing the disease to leave your flock. That means don't sell any chickens or allow them to hatch any chicks. I wouldn't add any chickens to the flock, either. If she's doing normal chicken things then allow her to continue to do so. However, if this flock is providing income to your family a more aggressive treatment methods need to be applied.

Back
Top Bottom