Blind Chicken

vaiaata

Chirping
11 Years
Aug 17, 2010
About two weeks ago one of our nine hens fell ill. She started shedding many inner soft feathers, seemed to find it difficult to walk and refused to eat or drink. We started feeding her protein powder mixed with honey, milk and vitamins though an eye dropper and after about ten days she started eating and drinking. She seems too be doing very well, except that it is clear she is now completely blind. We've isolated her from the other birds, partly to avoid any possible contagion and partly because one of the hens was picking on her.

This hen is around two years old. Regarding her blindness, her eyes appear completely normal, however you can wave your hand close to her head without any reaction from her.

I have two questions: is chicken blindness usually a temporary thing? Secondly, does anyone have experience/advice in caring for blind chickens?

Thank you!

Christopher

Last edited:
About two weeks ago one of our nine hens fell ill. She started shedding many inner soft feathers, seemed to find it difficult to walk and refused to eat or drink. We started feeding her protein powder mixed with honey, milk and vitamins though an eye dropper and after about ten days she started eating and drinking. She seems too be doing very well, except that it is clear she is now completely blind. We've isolated her from the other birds, partly to avoid any possible contagion and partly because one of the hens was picking on her.

I have two questions: is chicken blindness usually a temporary thing? Secondly, does anyone have experience/advice in caring for blind chickens?

Thank you!

Christopher
There is a very good article here on BYC on caring for a blind hen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-a-blind-or-partially-sighted-chicken.75986/

This hen is around two years old. Regarding her blindness, her eyes appear completely normal, however you can wave your hand close to her head without any reaction from her.

Thank you!

Christopher
Do you have any update on her condition? I currently have a hen dealing with a similar issue.

Hello, sorry, just seeing your message now.
She's doing fine. I keep her separate most of the day so as to avoid some bullying, and supervise her when she's out foraging with the others.
We're just about to introduce three young chicks to her, in the hope she'll adopt them. We'll keep our eyes open. She may be freaked out and lash out at them. We hope, though, that hearing and feeling them around her will bring out her mothering instincts.
BTW I think she is completely blind - no idea of light or dark. And she can get pretty lonely. But she's a picture of health and even lays about two eggs per week.

I have had a blind chicken for 5 years now. (She was given a steroid shot by an inept vet in snohomish who was more concerned about her molting than an eye infection so he shot her up with steroids, blinding her overnight) She’s isolated in a smaller coop with another disable hen and two younger ones that were babies when I introduced them. They all live happily. Blue eat well and is very healthy. She’s managing like a normal chicken. When I bring her out to clean the coop she stands closely to me and her coop mates protect her, but she’s usually pretty docile, not moving much. I don’t blame her, being blind must be scary. I’ve also, more recently, found one of my indoor girls has gone blind overnight. She’s got cancer. I’m hoping it’s early enough that it’s only temporary as her eyes look ok - except they’re dilated - but blindness is a symptom of lymphoid leukosis, which is what she has. At any rate, blind hens are possible to care for. They just need a bit of extra time and love to ensure they’re eating and drinking. Companion hens are important as well. Blue has her disabled girl and the babies. And my indoor has the other indoor and me. But don’t let them be alone. Blindness will cause depression. Once they are used to it and have their companions, they’ll bounce back. Just be patient.

Back
Top Bottom