BLIND GOOSE?

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
I acquired this pair of african geese from a couple from my Neighborhood. The male is 5 years old. The female is about 7-8 months old. When I was asking about them the caretaker told me they were fed only white bread and cracked corn. Including the female which they acquired as a gosling. To me it seemed that was a really bad diet and I have been introducing them to proper diet of layer crumbles and a mix of vegetables, grains, etc. I think the previous diet already affected the female sight. No matter how much I try, unless she sees my hand movement going down to her pan she doesn’t see the food, scratch, or even the whole wheat bread I give them as snack. The male has learned to eat the grains from my hand and the bread but I practically have to put it in front of the female nose for her to realize I am feeding her. Is it possible that her sight was damaged because of the bad nutrition? Will this affect her egg Laying? I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to active posting on BYC! :frow Nice to meet you.
It certainly sounds like she is blind. I'm not sure if that bad diet is to blame or not. It sounds reasonable.
You may want to start a thread about these two in the ER forum and post some pictures of her as well as video if you can. Good luck with her.

Hello and welcome to active posting on BYC! :frow Nice to meet you.
It certainly sounds like she is blind. I'm not sure if that bad diet is to blame or not. It sounds reasonable.
You may want to start a thread about these two in the ER forum and post some pictures of her as well as video if you can. Good luck with her.

Thank you for your help. How do I go to the ER forum? I am new at navigating these kinds of pages. But, you are right. If there are more people with experience there I’ll get more info regarding improving her diet. I also will post some pictures of the pair. They are georgeous breed of geese!

My husband and I had a blind goose for 6 years, who we rescued as a young juvenile. We kept her in a large pen made out of hardware cloth, with her mate and a few other "special needs" birds. Routine was important, as well as talking to her so she could orient by sound. She learned super quick where her food bowl was and listened for the sound of grain pouring into bowl, or the thump of a head of lettuce, ear of corn or chunk of watermelon when it hit the ground. She never missed a meal. During laying season, I would add crushed eggshells to her grain for calcium. Her blindness never affected her laying ability (her nesting box was a wood doghouse). She lived a happy, healthy life, until one day last year she just dropped dead (as dewlap toulouse geese unfortunately often do), which broke our hearts. She was a very special goose to us.

The best diet you can offer her is mazuri waterfowl maintenance grain, along with fresh grass/green veggies.

Back
Top Bottom